I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Those Little Football Shaped Guide Wraps
Posted by: Casey Dillion (65.169.29.---)
Date: March 17, 2006 03:00PM

What's with it? Why is everyone putting on globs of finish and spinning the rods so fast that the finish forms into little football shapes? Is this the new way of finishing rods? What's the purpose?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Those Little Football Shaped Guide Wraps
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 17, 2006 03:05PM

See the lastest issue of RodMaker for why this happens and in short. how to prevent it.

Factories are in a hurry, they need to get finish on the wraps, get full coverage, and then move on the next rod. The key for them is to apply a bit more finish than needed - no time to come back and fix things or add additional coats.

Posted by: Art Jessup (---.wasilla.mtaonline.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 03:06PM

It sounds like a poor finish job to me. I know the first time a finished a rod I had football shapes too...

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 17, 2006 03:07PM

So that's how you do it by spinning fast. I always wondered. If it pleases some builders what's the problem. A couple of people recently have expressed a preference for this shape of finish. Makes self leveling kinds suspect. LOL

Mike O.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.51.97.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 03:17PM

I'd have to assume it's a matter of preference among most custom builders and a matter of time/money for commercial operations. Some very good custom rodbuilders make their rods like this. Josh Markvan for example. His rods are beautiful and show extreme attention to detail so you have to assume this is the look he prefers. Among commercial builders, Winston does and St. Croix doesn't and I assume they are both spending about the same amount of time per rod. Sometimes St. Croix factory rods have some dry spots on the wraps whereas Winston rods never do so I think Tom's explanation makes sense.

I prefer a depth of finish on my rods that is flat and still shows slight thread texture, like older rods finished in varnish. To each his own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2006 03:28PM by Steve Kartalia.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 17, 2006 03:28PM

TOUCHDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 17, 2006 07:00PM

The measurements that I made for the article in RodMaker about weight and rod performance showed that on the typical Steelhead rod the weight of the epoxy will be about 50% of the weight of the guide. On light weight rods it will be even higher. The epoxy is surprisingly heavy.
Having said that and I hate to disagree with an expert rod builder like Steve but I do not like to see any thread texture left after the epoxy is applied. I do not think that if there is some thread texture left that the wraps are going to be as durable and the customer is likely to have problems in the future. I guess that I will say though, in your defense Steve, if there is any rod where that approach may be appropriate it is a fly rod and I know that is what you primarily build.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.87.46.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 07:52PM

Emory, I have been finishing my wraps for quite a while with either Gudebrod 822 rod varnish or Permagloss, both of which are tougher and more scratch resistant than epoxy, especially PG which seems virtually indestructible. Every now and then when I make a prototype and want it done in 1 coat, I'll use epoxy. And, please don't refer to me as an expert, since I don't consider myself anywhere close. Just cuz I talk a lot doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about, LOL.

Date: March 17, 2006 08:18PM

Steve,
I have never used either the Gudebrod 822 varnish or Permagloss so maybe that is part of the difference in the approach that we take. But I have seen quite a few rods, mostly Samon and Steelhead rods that were heavily used, that had the epoxy worn away and the thread was fuzzing up and in some cases had even broken or was unraveling on the ends. As a result I have felt that a little more epoxy and the additional durability was worth a little additional weight. Maybe if I were building fly rods I would make that trade off differently.

Posted by: Bill Worden (12.150.70.---)
Date: March 17, 2006 08:34PM

Guys, there is a definite reason for doing football wraps. At least there was when I did a rod with them.

I had a friend that is a huge Nebraska Huskers fan.
I built him a rod and the wraps( as I recall) were 5 turns of brown, 3 turns of white, 11 turns of brown, 3 turns white, and 5 turns brown. I purposely put way too much epoxy on the wraps and turned them at 20 rpm. "Tada" beautiful little footballs all the way down the rod. Add a husker emblem and a rod fitting ant big fan is born.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 09:59PM

Emory I see you joined my spelling class LOL I think you mean SALMON instead of Samon LOL I believe you can get a good in-depth finish without having a football finish. The use of multiple coats, that are thinly applied will achieve a deep luster look. I apply as many coats I need to get the in-depth even finish I am looking for. I also believe you get better finish thread penetration by applying thin light coats. I am not saying I thin my finish. I am saying, I apply light thin coats.
Good Wraps Bob Emory did I make sense

Date: March 17, 2006 11:21PM

Bob,
The one time that I do not use my spell checker and you catch me. At least my spell checker does not blow a fuse every time I use it like yours does.
I agree with you about it being easier to get good results by using multiple coats. The problem I have with numerous coats is that it takes time. If you are only building a few rods then I am on your side but if you build a lot of rods you just cannot take the time required to do more than two coats and one is even better.
PS: I ran this through my spell checker.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 18, 2006 04:06AM

Emory I agree with you! I think. Question how many rods do you finish at one time? I have done five at a time and no problem. I also use a little heat when I put a large amount of finish on and wick off the excess. By wicking off, I eliminate my foot balls. If I think, heat will make my finish flash off. I just add a new mix of finish, reapply, heat and wick off. I figure I may spend an extra ten minutes total. OOPS spell checker smoking, I think I worked it over time LOL
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster