I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Show in High Point
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 08:13PM

Tom, having the show in High Point is a great idea. I thought that since you are controlling the venue now, wouldn't it be great if the event was held in a little warmer weather, so we could treat our out of town guests to some springtime bass fishing. Waddya think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Show in High Point
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2006 09:40PM

Events like this held anytime other than the winter will fail. Period. There is a reason why nearly all show promoters do these type shows in January and February. Spring, summer and fall are all show killers. The time period between Memorial day and Labor day is particularly bad. Fuel and airline prices are at the highest point during the year in that time period.

I won't go into all the other various reasons why the warmer weather months are bad for consumer shows. Suffice to say that there is a reason that most seasoned show promoters don't do such shows at times other than winter.

As far as the attendees sticking around for some fishing, we're talking about 1500+ rod builders, not a small club event with 50 guys. It would be unlikely that local fishing would be a major draw or reason for anyone to come in to the show. Those that want to come in early to do some Striped Bass fishing will probably do so on their own. But I would think they would be small in number.

I do appreciate the suggestion, but local fishing opportunties would not be a major draw in this case and warmer weather generally keeps people at home doing all the things most of us have to do during that warmer weather period. People a heck of a lot smarter than me figured this out long ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2006 09:57PM by Tom Kirkman.

Show Additions
Date: March 16, 2006 10:04PM

I'll take this opportunity to mention a few new features for the 2007.

Attendees - Advance tickets will be available. They'll go on sale later this summer. They will be two-day tickets only, however.

Parking is now free, in the ShowPlace lot, up and down all adjoining streets and in both the city parking decks located 1 block from the ShowPlace.

Vendors - Instead of having to deal with one concern for booths, another for tables and chairs, another for phone and electrical hook-ups, you will now deal only with me. I will handle all of these at one time. This means less for you to keep track off. Also, the phone and electricale hook-ups will be substantially less than they have been in Charlotte. Up to 50% less, possibly even more.

Parking for your trucks and trailers is now free. Freight handling for those shipping items in will be substantially reduced. Up to 50% less, possibly more.

Dock area for loading and unloading will open early Friday morning. No waiting to unload or load. The entire dock area is ours. I will have workers in the ShowPlace to assist you in moving your items into your booths. No charge.

There are some other improvements that I'll get to later. We're still a full year out so a lot of this is quite early and not many are ready to even think about it yet. But we're already at work making sure that the 2007 event is less expensive and far easier on you.

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 10:48PM

There has to be a lot of truth to that. I think most shows are held in the winter because guys have cabin fever and are starting to get pumped up about the upcoming fishing season. A winter show really gives them the chance to get away from being coupped up all winter. In warmer weather you have kids or grandkids to contend with, or family vacations, yard work, your own fishing trips and all that sort of stuff. Gas and plane prices are much higher in the summer as well. I don't know how it is in other areas but the only fishing and boat shows we have around here are in Jan and Feb. Same reason I guess.

More good news...
Date: March 17, 2006 09:48AM

The Radisson Hotel, across the street from the ShowPlace, runs an hourly shuttle to PTI airport all day, every day. So there is no reason for anyone to have to rent a car or take a cab. The shuttle is complentary for folks staying at the Radisson. No charge.

The Radisson is reserving a block of rooms for us and will start taking reservations in mid-April. I'll announce when things are in place.

A bigger and better show, but less expensive for all to attend.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 07:20PM

Tom,
This sounds like a prayer come true! How soon can we start sending in space reservations? Heck - I don't even care if you do put me across from Bob McKamey for the third year in a row! The folks a Custom Tackle are "crowd pleasers"

"Vendors - Instead of having to deal with one concern for booths, another for tables and chairs, another for phone and electrical hook-ups, you will now deal only with me. I will handle all of these at one time. This means less for you to keep track off. Also, the phone and electricale hook-ups will be substantially less than they have been in Charlotte. Up to 50% less, possibly even more.

Parking for your trucks and trailers is now free. Freight handling for those shipping items in will be substantially reduced. Up to 50% less, possibly more.

Dock area for loading and unloading will open early Friday morning. No waiting to unload or load. The entire dock area is ours. I will have workers in the ShowPlace to assist you in moving your items into your booths. No charge."

Date: March 17, 2006 08:21PM

We'll be ready for booth sales and hotel room reservations in about 20 days. Plenty of time, but we have gotten a good jump on the work to be done so we can provide a better experience for everyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster