I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex coat over tru-oil
Posted by: Scott Redmond (---.kalmbach.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:10PM

Was hoping to get some advice from the board- I turned a wood handle for a light spinning rod and have put a single coat of tru-oil on it. I've now decided I would like to finish it with Flex Coat Lite to make it a bit more durable. I am concerned that the flex coat will not set propoerly over the tru-oil. Any opinions on this? I like the handle and would hate to ruin it.
Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex coat over tru-oil
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:36PM

Scott, I'm not sure the flex coat will do what your intending. The tru-oil finish will be much more durable than the flex coat.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Ricardo Font (---.emrsn.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:47PM

A Goggle search of true-oil components shows the presence of components that don't get well with the rod finish epoxies. I am not sure about the proportions, but with my little understanding, even the slightest hint of oil on a surface where you plan to apply rodbuiliding finish epoxy will lead to unwanted results.

2. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
DESCRIPTION CAS NUMBER WEIGHT PERCENT EXPOSURE LIMITS
Mineral Spirits 8052-41-3 >56 500 ppm (a)
Modified Oil Mixture <33 NE(b)
Linseed Oil Mixture <11 NE(b)

Therefore, common sense tells me that you might be up against a tough task, unless you seal or remove the true-oil from the part you want to apply finish to.

Posted by: mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 03:03PM

Scott,

Don't go there. I had to re-build three rods tnree times each because of avery tiny amount of this oil had got onto the blanks. You could not see it. Fish eye big big time. It cost me hours of work and hours of cleaning all my tools rod wrapper anything that could have got contanimated. I won't have the stuff anywhere near me again.

handle a grip that has been treated that is enough to cause serious probs.

Why tru oil and then high build it does not make sense to do this.

Mike O.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 03:10PM

Don't use any tread finish over Tru-Oil, it is not made for handles or grips, it is for thread. If you want a finish over Tru-Oil get some spar urethane at your local hardware store and use that.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 03:24PM

Tru Oil is very durable (it's a gunstock finish and can take a lot!). Put on numerous coats.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott Redmond (---.kalmbach.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 03:57PM

Thanks guys... I think I'll just put a few more coats of tru-oil on. I've finished handles with flex coat lite before and I liked the results..... but it sounds like I may be equally.. if not more pleased with the tru-oil.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:20PM

My minimum number of coats of tru-oil on a wood grip is about 10. Granted, those are very thin coats put on with cotton rag. Then, for the next year or so, every time I clean the rod up before or after fishing, I'll slightly abrade with scotchbrite, then put another coat on with a rag. It's a bit time consuming, but I think you'll be incredibly happy with the results.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.144.70.---)
Date: March 16, 2006 05:40PM

If you are looking for durability a build up of TruOil is good. A Duragloss coat is tougher yet.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.89.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 17, 2006 10:41AM

You could try a thinned coat of finish and see what happens ?? if you get a reaction resand it.
I put finish " very thin " on handles and it works well. The tru-oil is good, just put more coats on ??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster