I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sliding Ring Dilema
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 03:01PM

I am having an issue with the cost of sliding rings for lightweight fly rod reel seats. I was hoping to order the kit from Jann's Netcraft, but wondered if anyone has come up with a hardware store solution to sliding rings?

I have to imagine that there are small, thin walled metal rings (spacers) that have the proper ID/OD for use with an all cork reelseat?

If I have to, I suppose I can order the cork reelseat kit from Jann's, but it seems a bit wasteful since I'll just toss the cork reelseat in lieu of constructing my own. And considering the kit costs $11 for everything and I only intend on using the rings?! I'm not looking for anything fancy, just lightweight simple rings to hold the reel in place.

Any suggestions or "insider" tips would be appreciated!

Domenic Federico

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sliding Ring Dilema
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 04:14PM

My appologies to sponsors, but a good source for just rings is Rush River Rods: [pages.prodigy.net]

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 04:18PM

Hello Domenic
Several vendors to the left carry rings that are made for tennesse handles, which is what you want. They are worth the $ as they do work very well. Rings do need to be ordered by ID and it is best to have a good sliding fit. Or tape your reel to the grip that works ok too it just may not be as pretty. I do not know of a hardware store fix by part number in this age of plastic bag hardwares. But there must be something at LOWES that will help but will probably not work as well as the reel rings designed for this.
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 04:41PM

Domenic,

We sell a variety of sizes of sliding rings in both graphite and aluminum. They are sold by the pair and are reasonably priced.

Thanks for looking.

Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 10:07PM

Hi Domenic,

Merrick Tackle has them and if you don't have a wholesale account check with ACK Fishing as they carry most of the same stock that Merrick has.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 16, 2006 03:44AM

I recently ordered Struble nickel silver fly rings and butt plates from Custom Tackle Supply, on the left. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: John H Broughton (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: March 16, 2006 01:59PM

Dominic,

I have no idea where you could find them, but years ago Featherweight made rings called Magna-Grips.
These were anodized aluminum gold rings that actually tightened down on the cork. They were great
to use and inexpensive. The problem is where you would find them as they've been out of business
many years. I'm surprised that one of the ring making companies haven't picked up on this design
and produced their own.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster