I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Let's Suppose.............
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2006 04:41PM

Suppose that the 2007 International Rod Building Exposition could be held at a facility far nicer than the Charlotte Convention Center. Suppose that the facility offered free parking, better seminar and reception facilities, and was located next door to a 4-star hotel. Now suppose that this hotel offered the same $90 room rate as the Westin did this past February, but also offered free parking and a $10 breakfast buffet special. And, suppose that this hotel had their own upscale restaurant for lunch and dinner. Suppose too, that those who still felt that $90 a night was too expensive for their tastes, could get a nice room about 3 blocks away for $50 a night. And suppose that they could also get free parking and even a free shuttle ride, if they’re not up to a 3 block walk, to the show facility. Would this be something that would interest those who plan to attend next year?

Let’s also suppose that an International Airport was located 8 miles north of the show facility, with major interstate highways running a few miles north and south of town. And let’s suppose that the main railway line between New York and New Orleans ran directly behind the show facility and that the 19th century restored train station featuring 6 Amtrak passenger trains per day was just 2 blocks away.

And, let’s suppose that even if you only drove in for one day, you could park just about anywhere you wanted right at the facility or even 3 or 4 blocks away if necessary, and still not have to pay a dime to park at any of the thousands of parking spaces along the streets or in one of the two large parking decks 1 block north and west of the show facility.

Then let’s suppose that the vendors could buy booth spaces for less than they did at this most recent event and that the attendees could get in for less as well. And... let’s suppose that tickets could be purchased in advance.

Suppose that all this could really happen next February 16 & 17. Actually, we don’t have to suppose - it’s going to happen. Full details will be announced middle of next week. As nice as the show has been these last 3 years, none will compare to what we are going to do for 2007.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 04:50PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Let's Suppose.............
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:05PM

Tom...I really hate it that I missed this year's show but I will defintely make plans early to attend next year's show. What you have mentioned is outstanding. Only thing now is, you've got a whole bunch of anxious folks. LOL

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 05:27PM by Steve Parks.

Posted by: Dennis Papike (---.broadband.oakhurst.)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:12PM

Damn you Kirkman, the suspense is killing me. :lol

Posted by: al hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:12PM

I love the date you have picked because we have a sports show here on the same weekend you had the show this year. Ron Walter and i are trying to cordinate a rod building seminar at this sports show for the coming year, so we really like the date you have picked. And as far as that goes all the other aspects you have mentioned.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:17PM

So you're telling me that missing the 28th and 29th anniversaries with my way better half will now cease and I'll be with her on our 30th? Man, that ought to holster the ol' cast iron skillet, now!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:22PM

Let's suppose that it'll be great!!!! The amenities at the new place far out weigh the old place (and they were great!!). The new location can only help!!!!!

Mike

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:23PM

....sounds bigger and better already. People who haven't been, but wish they had, should start saving up and budgeting for it right now.

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:23PM

Are we talking about 16(Friday) and 17(saturday)?

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:32PM

Ill put you all out of your misery and suspense

ITS AT TOMS HOUSE
LOL

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:42PM

Excuse my French - but dam the train probably goes close to me. A nice train ride. I could dig that. Heck it don't sound like it could get any better ???!!!
Your out doing yourself Tom --- again !!!!
Hay could some one pick me up at my house and bring me back ?? Just kidding.
Could not ask for any thing better and easyer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2006 05:47PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 05:59PM

The problem with that date is that it is not on Valentine's Day. Now I need an other excuse to get out of flowers, chocolates & dinner.

We've all discussed 2007 already, and the consensus is we'll have 2 booth spaces next time. Making us pay less is defiantely a good thing.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 06:16PM

Let's suppose you tell us where, so we can book our flight or train ride, and rooms at the hotel now before more folks hear about it and the rush begins!

Date: March 14, 2006 07:25PM

I was wrong on the dates, it's the 17th and 18th. Vendor set up day will be the 16th.

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 07:34PM

Tom,
Are you and Mark ganging up on me to get me out there next year?

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Date: March 14, 2006 07:46PM

I've never had to twist anyone's arm to attend, nor will I for 2007. When you do your homework and organize something truly worthwhile, people will just naturally see the value and talk themselves into coming out.

The bottom line is that you can't get greedy nor complacent - you can't raise fees unless you make a corresponding increase in value. Beyond that, any time you can do something better than before and yet at the same time charge less than before, you are going to do well.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 09:18PM

Sounds great to me! Can hardly wait to get additional details so I can make reservations.

Stan

Posted by: Don Putvin (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 09:20PM

Well,

I suppose it is time to start planning my trip from the left coast.

Posted by: John Richardson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: March 14, 2006 10:08PM

Given that I grew up in the town next door to the one that I think you are alluding to, I think it would be a great idea! It's a little longer drive for me than to Charlotte but the amenities definitely make it worth the extra driving time.

But the major question will be whether or not they have good barbeque.

And, no, I'm not going to ruin Tom's surprise.

John

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 11:32AM

Thats a lot of supposition, I Suppose its not going to be in the midwest? I suppose it possibly never has, save for maybe Chi-town/Det-riot, so I suppose it is due. Just wishfull supposition as I can't afford the trip so far south. Exemplary work wish I could afford to see it up close and personal like.

Date: March 15, 2006 11:44AM

Chris,

Our problem is, we can't afford to pack it all up and bring it to you. I know everybody wants the show in their backyard but that's not possible. As Jim Upton said recently, "If you want to go to DisneyWorld, you have to go to Florida." The same holds true here - if you want to attend the world's largest and best rod building event, you'll have to come to North Carolina.

I know not everyone can afford to attend. That's a shame, but you can't do something like this all over the country. The rod builders are widely dispersed - no single regional area can support something like this. You have to rely on hundreds and hundreds of builders coming into one location from all over the country (and the world) in order to make it work. North Carolina is a 2 hour flight or a day's drive of 65% to 70% of the total U.S. population. It's worked extremely well for the last 3 years and has seen sizeable growth each and every year. I'm going to keep it here as long as it continues to prosper.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster