I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Balance point for a fly rod
Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 10:51AM

What's the ideal balance point on a fly rod? If it matters, I'm building a 10' 5wt switch and my concern is that the extra materials will mess things up. The corollary then is a question that has recently been asked (for other than fly rods), should one make the effort to balance a fly rod by adding mass?
Thanks
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balance point for a fly rod
Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:07AM

Steven,
There are a number of experienced rod builders that advocate adding weight to the butt of rods to balance them. But here is a dissenting point of view. Adding unnecessary weight to the rod, anywhere on the rod, is almost always a mistake. The added weight means that it will take more effort to overcome the inertia that the weight creates when using the rod, especially when casting. The added weight will also lower the efficiency and therefore the sensitivity of the rod. Admittedly it lowers the efficiency much less when added at the butt of the rod but it still lowers it some. I think that the best way to balance a rod is to add as little weight toward the tip of the rod in the way of guides and wraps as possible and then let it go at that.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:15AM

Do the balancing with the reel. If you need more weight in the butt, use a heavier reel, if you need less weight, use a lighter reel.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 11:57AM

You are in luck. The longer 10 foot rod is very tip heavy, except in the switch configuration, which moves the handle up the blank and more hardware behind the hand. I would never add weight to a rod except with heavier hardware. Wood fighting butts add weight. Nickle silver is very heavy stuff, but not recommended for a salt water rod. You can get reels in a wide variety of weights, and this is the means to achieve optimal balance. Some of the nicer salt reels are comparatively heavy, so again you are in luck.

Posted by: Steven Penzes (---.abhsia.telus.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:11PM

Sorry fair reader,
Let me clarify my question. What I'm looking for is what is the best balance point of the setup (reel and all). The following rationale is what I need reviewed. If the balance point if just forward of my casting hand then forecasting is easier but a fighting fish now has a slight advantage in that my rod's balance point now works against me. If the balance point is to the rear of my hand then the reverse is true. Line pickup, backcast, and fish fighting are a little easier but the forescast's speed of response and power suffer a little. The last option is to have the balance point right under my hand but I think that's just a cop out for not being able to decide which of the other two options is best. All of this is complicated by the fact that I'm building a switch rod and I'm completely unsure of the proper balance point for two handing. If the balance point is to the front of the single hand, then the bias is definitely toward the forward hand when two handing. If it's behind the single hand then it's considerably biased towards the rear hand and I'm not sure which is the better situation. Certainly some will argue that adding any mass is just a bad idea but I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth the performance hit.
Steve

Posted by: Bill Worden (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 12:50PM

Typically my rods all balance right in the center of the hand. Buy I would not add weight to make a slight correction.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:35PM

When casting or playing a fish the balance point is dynamic and changes with the length of line either off or on the reel.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:42PM

I do what Gerry does - adjust the size/weight of my reel. Or... you can build a dual moveable hood reelseat and simply adjust the location of your reel fore or aft to get the balance you desire.

I like the balance point to fall no farther forward than the front edge of the grip. That's my personal preference in this situation. Others may prefer something different.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 02:18PM

Stan makes a very good point. On a casting or spinning rod it is not going to make much difference but on a fly rod it could be significant. You are spinning your wheels trying to balance a fly rod because of the weight of the line. And even if the rod were balanced with a given amount of line out it would still be dynamic because of the changing inertia of the line when casting.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 03:39PM

If it were me, I would attempt to balance the rod to cast one-handed, balancing right in front of the single hand and keeping the rig as light as possible. The two handed cast will take care of itself. The leverage you can exert with both hands on the foregrip of a five weight rod is much greater than any fish can exert! Now if it were a 12 weight rod for big tarpon you might have a reasonable concern. Bob Meiser should give you some feedback on what angler's prefer with the switch rod.

Posted by: Keith Cokely (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 15, 2006 11:26AM

Gent's, these are all valid points, but the one I personaly would be most concernd with is the overall weight. A heavy rod will wear you out quicker and at that point balance is no longer an issue. Balance the rod with a quality reel and you'll be fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster