I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Five Rivers FTL 803-5 test casting
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 14, 2006 09:48AM

Finally got to cast this rod in some calm weather this weekend. I had it lined with a DT3-F Wonderline. It CC's at 2.67/62. The rod felt very responsive, light, and crisp. I cast it with 10-40 feet of line outside the tip top and it handles it really well. I have it built with a small cigar grip and cork and double aluminum slide rings for the reel seat (handle kit Jann's Netcraft sells), single foot chrome wire guides (size 0) and thin finish of Permagloss on wraps (3 coats). Finished rod weighs 1.92 oz. It's a beautiful little small stream rod that should be lots of fun with small to medium trout and panfish. Interestingly, it has about the identical power and action of a 1979 Orvis Superfine "Trout" 8' 6wt. that I recently had in my shop for a repair. I will probably play around with this rod and 4,5, and 6wt. lines just to see how it feels. Don't worry, Dan, if I blow it up with a 6wt. line, I won't be bothering you about the warranty. I'm sure it will handle it fine, at least as well as the Orvis rod which has been handling a 6wt. line for almost 30 years.

Anyway, since it's a new series, I thought I'd post my impressions of it. Get 'em while they're hot!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Five Rivers FTL 803-5 test casting
Posted by: Aaron Harp (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 10:22AM

Steve: I have two of Dan's 7-piece FDC rods and no one believes me that they cast so well - until they try it themselves. Great information on some great blanks. Thanks for all the work.

Aaron Harp

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 14, 2006 01:39PM

I'm excited about the FTLs. I think they suit my type of fishing and personal preference well. I prefer blanks that allow a good feel at close distances and are not overly powerful. I can throw a lot of different lines 60' with not that much power in the rod. Not because I'm a great caster, just because I don't mind adjusting my timing to a slower casting rhythm and really letting the rod do the work for me. These blanks aren't as powerful as the 7pc. models or the Sig. Vs and much less powerful than the FTs. I never got the chance to CC any Sig. IVs so I don't know how they compare. But, I look at it this way. If I have 40' of line in the air plus a leader plus the length of the rod, then the fly is landing approximately 56' away from my feet. On the streams I fish, I can say for a fact, I haven't hooked a fish in the last 5 years that was farther away than that. Even with my 7wt. on big rivers, I prefer to wade or paddle a little closer before I cast and get a better hookset.

Dan offers plenty of high power rods and I'm happy to see this series of rods geared more toward the fisherman that doesn't prefer lots of power. I admire the design, engineering, and utility of all of his series of rods. But, I think these suit me best of all among his different series.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: March 14, 2006 03:27PM

i just picked up the 6 piece 803 version of the FTL blank yesterday after quickly test casting the five piece version. i'm really looking forward to this rod...

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2006 09:04PM

I have the 905 6 pc on order....will build it as a fund raising @#$%& rod. But I'm sure I'll manage to test throw it in the yard :)

I'm anxious to build it...and give it a try.

I expect it to only be terrific....

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster