I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

J P. Timberlake / acrylic turning blanks.
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 11:02PM

J.P. I've been looking for a source for acrylic turning blanks but the largest I've found are 5/8" x 5/8" . Do you (or does anyone else) have a source for turning blocks with a larger outside diameter ? I was really impressed with the inserts you had in Charlotte!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: J P. Timberlake / acrylic turning blanks.
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 11:05PM

I was really wowed ! by his inserts, too, Ken. Beautiful work there!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 12, 2006 11:14PM

You can make your own per the instructions in the article Joe Emig did in RodMaker. They can be colored and patterned to your own specs. I need to get that info on the resin sources for everyone. I'll try to do it tomorrow if I can remember it.

You can pour it as thick as you want, then resaw it on a bandsaw to make your turning squares.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 12:11AM

Oops! Double Post!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2006 10:05AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 12:14AM

Amazing stuff wasn't it? I talked to J.P.quite a bit and he said that he sometimes turns the smaller size acrylics that are available for pen turnersand then casts them in resin like Joe does. If you find a source, let me know PLEEEEEZZZZE!!
Craft Supplies USA has some new "Celluloid Pen Blanks in 7/8" that look pretty awesome [www.woodturnerscatalog.com]

J.P. If you see this, your e-mail address is hidden!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 13, 2006 09:21AM

Another thing you can do, is to use polymer clay to fashion inserts and colors of you own choosing, and then cast that in polyester resin. This takes care of the clay's somewhat softer nature and encases it in a hard, durable resin and allows you to turn and buff it to a high gloss.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: March 13, 2006 10:15AM

Craft Supplies is currently selling what seems to be the largest celluloid blanks available. Arizona Silhouette sells celluloid blanks that are 3/4" square and Woodturningz.com sells blanks Inlace Acrylester blanks that are listed as 3/4 square also. It might be worth it to contact Ryan at Woodturningz and check if this is really true, because I have an Inlace blank that's 1" square, so they may be bigger. Penn State Industries sells bowling ball blanks that are 1" round but they only come in four colors. In addition, there is a place in Phoenix, The Pipe Makers Emporium, that has some extremely nice Lucite rods that they say are 7/8" square, 18" long. My experience with their Lucite is that it's actually bigger than that. Here's the link, [www.pipemakers.org] This stuff is is much easier to turn that Polyester resin, cuts like butter. Some of the rods are quite transparent so you need to be careful about colors unless you want to paint the inside of the hole after you drill it.

If you want something colorful in wood, try River Ridge Products at [www.rrpwhite.com] Steven sells Dymondwood in a huge array of color combinations. The stuff is made in fairly large sheets, including thick enough for bottle stoppers, and he will provide just about any size you want.

Date: March 13, 2006 04:30PM

Thanks Gerry. As for casting my own, well along with trying the castings that Jesse Buky does they're an "investment in time" - and time is what I don't have right now. Maybe once "the get these done for opening day" passes I will have more time to experiment. For now I have to look for something that I can put to use with minimum time 'sperimenting (fabrication) and more focused on final fit. I'll play with the lucite to see how that works out & I remember the samples of bowling ball cores that Ed Smith had with him in Charolotte - those were large diameter (and now I know where to find them too!) Thanks again!

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 08:19PM

Ken, it would be a complete waste of time to try to duplicate the acrylics that places like Craft Supplies sell. These things are all made by machines that are computer controlled and much more elaborate than anything you or I could afford. I know a lot of people who make some very nice PR castings and not one of them has been able to acheive the find of color definition and separation that exists in the acrylics. To think otherwise is foolishness.

Date: March 13, 2006 09:05PM

I got looking around at these websites today, Gerry. WOW! Some of these "pen turning" blanks are really, really neat looking! They would be awfully tuff to duplicate, that's for sure.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: March 13, 2006 09:18PM

Actually, they're not at all hard to make and/or duplicate. An upcoming article in RodMaker will show you how to make your own, in any size you wish.

Date: March 13, 2006 10:46PM

I'll stand by my statement that you can't do it at home until I can be convinced otherwise. I know what's involved and am not interested in spending tens of thousands of dollars in the necessary equipment. If I'm proven wrong, please mail me a crow.

Date: March 13, 2006 10:48PM

I'll wait for the article to come out and learn as much as I can before I start down the trail that others have blazed and learn from their experiences on what does and does not work in casting. In the meantime I went & looked at the sites Gerry provided - I was absolutely stunned by the variety of colors and patterns available from Craft Supplies [ www.woodturnerscatalog.com ] 5 pages of celluloid alone up to 7/8" in diameter and very reasonably priced. So I can work on the "mechanics" of turning up front

Date: March 13, 2006 11:01PM

Reasonably priced is right. It's very inexpensive to buy these. One of you guys wanna turn a few seats for me?? LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: March 13, 2006 11:43PM

I'll be glad to do it for you Putter, for a price of course.

Date: March 13, 2006 11:50PM

Oh, oh, that sounds dangerous; I'm out of pens, Gerry. Maybe we can trade baseball cards?

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: March 13, 2006 11:56PM

Just go get in your truck and come over here and I'll teach you how to do it. It wouldn't take more than an hour or two. Even walleye fishermen from ND can't be any slower than that. ROTFLMAO

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2006 07:44AM

hey everyone i just saw this as i have been very busy. i used to be able to get some of the acrylic in 2" spindles, but havent found any in a while. if you get the 3/4" blanks you can turn them down to a 16mm size seat if you are careful. i am now playing with some different acrylics in the small pen sizes. so far so good. i then put them in the polyester resin. it is pretty neat stuff as it opens the door to all the available pen blanks. sorry about the email here it is
jptimberlake@triad.rr.com
phone336-778-1308
call or send email if you have any questions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster