I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

balancing
Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 06:47PM

I've never balanced a spinning or casting rod with weight in the butt. In the past, I've always ended up with the natural balance within 1-2" of the front hood. It seemed silly to add weight, in those circumstances.

But, this rod is a 3C70MHF, dedicated solely for pitching jigs/worms/etc. So, once I put the final coat of expoxy on it, the balance point was about 6" in front of the front hood. After quite a bit of fly-tier's lead wire, I've moved my balance to a point about 1" in front of the front hood. However, I've run out of room under the butt cap for more lead. Which of the following should I do?

Leave it with the balance at 1" in front of the front hood, calling it good enough.

Add more weight INSIDE the end of the blank to move the balance point to the reel (or even further back). I guess I could use rod bond and lead fishing weights for this. I suppose I could also find a short hunk of metal rod for this application.

What do you think?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: balancing
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 07:04PM

One of the things I've purchased for minor balancing is a Glazing compound by DAP (Depot,Lowes). You pick up a small can you realize its pretty heavy stuff and in putty form. By plugging the inside of the blank with a cork stopper that fits loose, you can pack in the glazing compund as you push the cork stopper further into the blank. It works great when you need that last 1/4 to 1/2 oz on the very butt end of a rod.

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 07:08PM

You might even want a little more "weight" in front of the reel. For the most part while pitching your hand is either palming the reel or holding the line in front of the reel. With the balance a little tip heavy it will not seem so bad when pitching. You will be more accurate with a little tip heavy balance, also it will allow you to pendulum and long range pitch a little easier. It is easier to control the rod with your index and middle finger than it is with your thumb. I always like a little feeling in my fingers. You can do this by balancing the rod a little forward of the reel. All of my pitchin sticks are balancing about 3-3.5in in front of the reel. I can pitch all day without any fatigue at all, and a spiral wrap will help a lot also. Bryan.

Posted by: joe arvay (---.nas83.chicago3.il.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 07:08PM

If you want to use the wire for the butt insert, try a farm store for some 1/8" solid wire solder. It's fat, heavy, and can be flattened with a hammer and rolled up for an insert. Probably cheaper than the flytying wire.

Really, 1" in front of the hood is pretty nice for balance. I think a tad bit of tip heaviness is just about right for sensitivity, get it too butt heavy and you may be hating it. Fish it for a spell and see, the ultimate test is in the fishing and it can be pretty tough to tell in the living room.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 07:23PM

I would say that I an just the opposite of Brian. I balance all my pitching rods so that they are tip light/ butt heavy.
They pitch further, are more sensitive to lighter bites, and are less fatiguing during the day.
After 20 years of playing with this I find tip light rods perform better.
I use tungsten weights. Lead is a deadening substance.
For that reason I use tungsten, because it is harder, and transmits vibration better.
It is also heavier and therefore I am able to keep the weight closer to he butt.
Put them inside the blank with the pointed end facing the butt.
If you are using a telescoping handle and have the points forward the upper section can get wedged onto the weight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2006 08:31PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 07:42PM

Steve,
Don't you mean Tungsten or Bismuth for weight? Titanium is light, they make guides out of it. Are you balancing in the horizontal position or in the fishing position?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 12, 2006 08:30PM

Spencer post corrected . Thank you for catching my brain cramp

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2006 08:33PM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 09:41AM

Andy,

Neutral in the hand is the best feeling for me, others may like a little one way or the other. Mock it up where you think it's right and then use your own hand as the fulcrum... rarely will your hand balance in the same spot as hanging the rod. (And be sure you have a the reel spooled with line when you do this! ) I don't like adding extra weight either but in certain applications it is a giant plus. You could always use a bigger section of exotic burl in your split grips... that way it's heavier but you don't feel like you are "weighting" the rod.

A little epoxy and a tungsten weight works very well for this.

Keith

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 10:21AM

Andy,

I do this very often with my walleye jigging rods. I put a piece of foam rod, the kind used for weather stripping, inside of the blank. I add lead shot until I get the balance the way I want it. The smaller the shot, the better it works. I use size 9 shotgun shot. Pour out the lead and mix with epoxy. Spoon mixture back in. Finish out the butt cap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster