I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Titanium Frame Feet Dressing
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 04:56PM

I had a bit of trouble dressing the feet on this rod Im doing now. I finished off with a diamond stone. Took me quite some time to rough them out . Any tips for my next set? Thanks in advance

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Titanium Frame Feet Dressing
Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.sip.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 11, 2006 08:20PM

Dremmel tool with fine stone or small belt sander with fine belt

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 12:05PM

Here is a couple links to thoughts on this topic awhile back. I use a Dremel with a diamond disc. Remember to use eye protection when grinding guides!!!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: March 12, 2006 05:31PM

Thanks for the info. Ill have to get set up with some power tools for this stuff. I left all of my rod building stuff in Canada before moving to Scotland. I guess Ill just have to rough it for the next couple of blanks. My last guides turned out great they just took a bit of time. Ive forgot how much fun it is to order a blank and build it just the way you want. Ill have 4 blanks shortly to complete.

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 09:48AM

Scott,

I have beeen using a 4 inch fine flat file for a great many sets of Titanium guides in T-SVSG, T NSG and T-SG patterns. The metal is much easier to cut than std Stainless Steel. I rough file then use 400 and finally 1200 wet and Dry paper to finish off. I hate grinding guides so much that I don't do it. One reason is getting good control the other is that heat generated can change the characterisics of the metal. I see grinding as a tool of the mass producer to be honest. It works for some but not for me. It can also be dangerous for the not so skilled builder. I am talking geneaarlly heare not personally, so please don't take me the wrong way. LOL.

Regards

Mike Oliver

Date: March 13, 2006 03:21PM

Mike

Ive been out of rodbuilding for a good few years. Ive learned so much from the guys here and in the library tab. I was thinking there was some "new" way to dress feet. Do you have any info on how to paint or colour your guide feet to match thread colour?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 13, 2006 03:42PM

Scott,

Sharpie indelible markers is what I use.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 13, 2006 04:07PM

Thanks. Ive got some for fly tying. I am curious to know how some of you forum users treat the bottom sides of your guides with respect to dressing. Do remove the majority of the concave shape? Or do you just make sure the edges are nice and smooth ie no burrs? Come to think of it do you remove the arrow like point on the end of the foot to produce a nice tapered profile from tip to guide foot? Do you leave it and just taper it looking side on if you like? The way I have always done it was to taper it both ways looking down and side on to the foot. Just wondering if this was right? Theres so much knowledge here I feel compelled to ask LOL Thanks in advance
Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster