I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Blanks?
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 03:47AM

Does anyone have any experience building on these blanks? Are they a quality product? I have a chance to get a couple fly rod blanks and wanted to get some advice before I purchase. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Blanks?
Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.brambles.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 04:10AM

I use these Pacific Bay rainforest, tradition and PBX blanks for everything from 2kg soft plastics style to 80 pound strokers. Very poular with my customers and no quality problems. Great performance for the price. I have not used any fly blanks yet but I know they have a good reputation

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 04:51AM

Have used a few Professional series blanks, they were a nice blank that I was told came out of the All Star factory. The fly blanks were moderate fast to fast action.
Have made a few rods on the Tradition blanks on the cast/spin steelhead blanks, they were a good value also.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 09:54AM

A friend of mine was the director of marketing for Pac Bay for several years. I have built on both the Traditon II and the Rainforest II series fly blanks, and steelhead/salmon blanks. Out of maybe 30 blanks, i've not found one that needed to be send back or replaced due to excessive curve, bad ferrule fit, poor finish...etc. I cannot speak for others, but their quality control is excellent.
I look to these blanks first when filling an order.
RB

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.metro8.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: March 10, 2006 10:13AM

Many fly/sporting/outfitter businesses that sell rods with their name on them have Pac Bay as their blank of choice. I worked for a rod wrapping house & component supplier (one of this board's sponsors); I built a ton of fly rods for those businesses and found very few blanks that came thru my hands to have any defects. A quality product at a reasonable price.

2 cents,

Tim

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 10:15AM

I have built on the tradition series 7,8,9wt. 10' 2 pc. fly blanks.& 8wt. 4 pc. 9' fly blank. The 9wt. really has some back bone when using it on freshwater Salmon. The only problem I ever encountered was having the ferrule seize up despite using ferrule lube. One customer of mine has fished a 7 wt. since 01' and he catches 80-120 steelhead each season. About three or more years ago they changed the mandrels this series are rolled on, I really liked this series older dimensions because at one time they were set up to mimic the old G-loomis IMX fly rods when that series was top of the G-loomis line. If memory serves the taper has been lessened since then, the butt dia is the same but the tip dia is now a stable 5.5 on 6wt and above fly blanks, up from a dimension a low a 4.0, but on average 4.5. All and all a great value on a longer fly blank at approx $50 to $55 retail.

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range81-129.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 05:37AM

Thanks everyone. I got a very good deal on 2 blanks and have purched them. Your comments reassured me. Ive also talked to Andy @ Lamar about getting a CTS blank. Has anyone out there got one of these? The company sounds very interesting and some of the colours of the blanks are great!! Im just waiting for shipping info to the UK. Thanks again for all the info

Posted by: Rohit Lal (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 11, 2006 06:49AM

CTS blanks are used in Strudwick rods in Australia and these are some of the most expensive and highly regarded rods here

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster