I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

winding check size?
Posted by: Dave Jamieson (206.239.195.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 05:00PM

I'm trying to put together some components for a Batson RX7 6-weight blank. I'm going to use Batson's 3.640" green woven graphite reel seat flush against their 7" half-wells no c/b grip. I want to add a nice aluminum winding check; trouble is, I don't know what size to buy. I don't have any measuring devices more sophisticated than a basic ruler, and I don't think that'll get me an accurate measurement to hundredths of an inch. I don't mind buying two or even three winding checks, as long as one of them fits the finished product. Anyone know what size I'd want to use, or a good way to find out?

Thanks,

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: winding check size?
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 05:37PM

I purchased a green ruler with a number of holes in it of various sizes with marks for 0, 90, 180 and 270 degrees. I use it for marking axis for butt wraps, however, I'm 90% sure it tells you how large each hole (if it doesn't measure diamater and multiply by 3.14) You should be able to buy something like this at office depot or similar. i think I picked mine up at wal mart.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 05:50PM

A local hardware store should have a caliper for ~$20.
That would be the best way to measure O.D.
Trust me, you'll get good use of of it over the years.
RB

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 06:27PM

Dave,
If you get the winding check from the same place the other components are coming from they can size it for you before shipment. They can also ensure your tip top is the right size. Getting everything at the same place will save you if shippng costs also.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:03PM

Dave,

Without the proper measuring tools Spencer's advice is the only way to go.

If you have already received the blank and other components and need to
order the winding check as an after thought, call or email Batson Ent. and
give them the distance up the blank you plan to install the check and they
can give you the OD. Batson provides great customer service but please do
not take advantage. Get yourself a digital caliper set and save yourself any
further problems like this.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:07PM

Formula for the Circumference (C) of a CIRCLE or CYLINDER:
C = PI * DIAMETER = 3.14159 * Outside Diameter
C = 3.14 * OD . ... So, (C / 3.14) = OD .
Therefore, C divided by 3.14 equals the OD.

If you have a ruler, and a calculator (or are great at long division), then you can measure OD. Your computer has a Calculator in your Start Button / Programs / Accessories / Calculator. ... So, to measure the OD of your rod blank:

Take a narrow strip of paper. Wrap it around the rod blank at the location you expect to place your winding check. Mark the paper at one full circumference length. Then use the ruler's smallest graduation to measure that length of paper - that is your circumference. Divide that circumference by 3.14, and you will have a very close approximation of your OD, to nearest 0.010". That's sufficiently accurate for this fitting.

Batson ForeCast has MANY sizes (ID's) in rubber and two metals (PVD-coated brass or anodized aluminum) at www.FishSticks4U.com.

To convert Millimeters to 1000ths of an inch:
( __ MMs) divided by 25.400 = ( ___ 1000ths inch).

Buying a decent sliding vernier caliper is well worth the ~$10+ it will cost. Most sliding vernier calipers can not only measure OD, but have pin-prongs to also measure ID. A Tip-Top Gauge is also worth considering. ... IMO, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Dave Jamieson (68.165.120.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:50PM

Many thanks to everyone for their detailed suggestions. The folks at Batson's were fantastic. I gave Kerry (sp?) the specs and he ran off and figured out the right winding check for me. I think I'll order some calipers to save him the hassle next time.

Dave

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 11:25PM

i bought a digital caliper from harbor freight when they went on sale last year. it's the 6 inch model and they offer a 4 inch i think, as well as longer ones. i really do recommend getting one. it has an automatic shut off feature to save battery power and a simple click of a button switches it from english to metric readings. i think i picked it up somewhere between $15 and $19. seriously, my social life escalated after buying this thing. friends and family would walk in the door and i'd show it off by measuring miscellaneous objects. now even neighboprs come by to have the odd item measured. taking it to bars, i now REALLY impress the opposite sex and it's a wonderful conversation starter during cocktail hours

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Simon Oakley (---.qld.veridas.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 06:50AM

Dave
buy a set of 6''digital vernier calipers from one of the sponsors on the left or your local hardware or tool store. One of the best investments you can make if your into rod building measure things internally, externally in inches or millimeters are made of stainless steel and most turn them selves off if you forget and come in a hard case. The best $25+ you can spend or for $2+ you can buy a plain plastic set a bit basic but will do the job. Once you have a set you will wonder how you did with out them
Simon

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 11:35AM

Now if your traped within the confines of a Mensa minimum information/variables/tools equasion i.e no fancy calipers. There are a number of ways to defeat this problem yourself, if you have the components in hand, less the winding check. A ruler or tape measure should suffice rather than buying a caliper, which I would really recommend, accept this is a minimum information problem.

In an select the check from the distributor using only the blank measurments provided situation
Most winding checks on fly rods are 10"-12" from the end of the butt and that will usually be on average approx .060" less the butt O.D. Buy the two checks close to this and you can always enlarge one, I've done this with an exacto knife on alu. Be cognisent of your thread dia. (doubled) margin for error when selecting a size check out of the progression of I.D.'s offered

Now if you have all the components in hand, less the check. Slide a FREE drill bit gauge with holes over the blank until it fits in place correctly
OR if you are forced into doing it with a minimum of on hand household DEVICES. Procure an index card and cut parallel slots slightly larger and larger until it just fits over the blank at the correct location for the winding check as per the other components intended for use. This might take several attempts. Get a ruler and measure the gap in the index card. Most home tape measures have 32nds of an inch on one side of the 1st inch. Never use the floating hook tip on a tape meassure to measure small work, start instead with the 1/2" mark for increased accuracy. If your measurments spilt the 32nds hash marks just indicate the cut out lenght by going: 13/32nds+ to indicate 64ths of an inch, or 11/16+ to indicate 32nds of an inch. Its then easy enough to figure out what decimal equilvent this fraction is by simple deduction .500" = 1/2", .250"= 1/4" then just go by "half the amount" decimal measurments to equal half tape measure distance equivelents until your spot on i.e. Given 1/2" & 1/4" decimal equivlents then.... 3/8" = .375", .5/16" = .312", 13/32"=.409", 13/32"+ OR 27/64ths=.426"

Since thread usually a butts the winding check; size "A" thread gives you a .012" gap that can be covered by its application. The Distributors don't hand cut a specific size Winding check for you so they are offered in incrimental sizes. Pick the one that fits best making sure it is slightly larger than needed but not beyond the thread margin. Its easy enough to throw money at a problem the hard part is to figure it out, but you don't sell things then and no one makes a profit. To my way of thinking, aquiring the knowledge to do it the hard way is the best profit.

Having the distributor check the tip top to blank tip dimensions is sound advise and if he is checking that he might as well measure for the winding check, but this does take advanced planning because the person taking your order might not have instant access to everything, but they can make a note on your invoice to double check these items for compatibility before shipping, which for some big places might be out of the ordinary

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster