I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Retail Storefronts?
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 03:19PM

So, how many custom builders out there have their own retail shops/storefronts?

I ask because I'm contemplating opening a retail store combined with a work/production space but am curious whether other folks have found it to be a profitable endeavour. I'd be paying between $500 and $800/month for the space and I'd be able to be in the shop 4 days a week.

For what it's worth, I have a display arrangement with a couple of fly shops already. I also have a workspace which, while small, suits my needs at this point.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Retail Storefronts?
Date: March 09, 2006 03:23PM

The location (while somewhat TBD) would be within a block of an established fly shop (and within 3 blocks of another) in a town of 150,000 in Oregon.

Scott Kinney
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 03:35PM

Scott,
Where in Oregon are you located?

Date: March 09, 2006 04:31PM

I'm in Eugene now.

Scott Kinney
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 06:14PM

Scott,
You should plan to come up to our get together in Woodland on the 7th, 8th and 9th.

Date: March 09, 2006 06:52PM

I'd love to, but I will be in China that week. Vacation trumps business :)

Scott Kinney
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (24.106.231.---)
Date: March 10, 2006 07:27PM

Scott,

I'll qualify this opinion by saying I've never run a brick and mortar rodbuilding retail business but I would discourage you from commiting to a lease and a large inventory. You will get little walk-in business and the number of rods you will sell will likely not pay enough for you to break even, let alone a living.

Do some quick math. Total up up your annual rent, phone, utilities, advertising, store fixtures, accounting and legal fees, etc. Next, multiply the number of rods you're likely to sell (in person, by mail order and internet) minus the cost of the materials and shipping and arrive at a total. Compare the totals. I think you'll see that even working 15 hours a day, you won't make any money. You'll probably lose a bunch, especially considering the salary lost by not doing another job.

Sorry, but hobbies don't often work out as a job.

Jeff

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 12:38PM

Scott,

Jeff makes some good points. If you are a good businessman as well as a custom rod builder and in the right location you can make a living. You will need to be good at sales and marketing and developing your business profile. It can be done by some but not everyone has the drive and the ability to do it. You may find that you have to get a little more commercial about certain aspects of your building. Can you live with that. Are you prepared to write off your start up investment capital or will you expect a return on it. It's not all about making loads of money for some but just enough to live reasonably and do something that they really love.

A retail shop front selling just custom rods may not provide enough revenue on it's own. You may need to sell other related items. Maybe become like a local rod building business supplying blanks and components to. You may even have to sell fishing tackle. Then the rub is how do you balance your time behind the counter with building customer rod orders. Can you run to staff. OOPs.

With competition so close you are making life doubbly difficult. I don't know if the Tackle Mafia exists in the USA but over here well established shops will ( iilegally) put pressure on suppliers to not supply new shops.

Heck do your research, do your business plan, don't ask friends and family members for opinions. Do ask your bank manager if he/she will lend you money ( even if you don't need it) then it may be a goer.

There are other ways to test the water before committing to a lease. last thought 4 days a week. That's not giving a good meassage to your potential customers. Most peole rightly or wrongly expect a retail business to be open for at least 6 days a week.

Hoping for the best will usually equal despair but I have a gut feeling that you are nobodies fool.

All the very best.

Mike Oliver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster