I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodmaker Reception When The Lights Went Out
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 01:50PM

At the Rodmaker Reception on Saturday night one of the highlights of the evening was when the Wylie Rods blank lit up with the beautiful red glow when the lights were cut off. There was a gasp from the huge crowd as the rod did Wylie proud! Wylie I can honestly tell you that more people were looking at that rod for an instant than any rod in the show! Wylie it really was fine fine! Some lucky person walked of with a real nice rod.

Gon Fishn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodmaker Reception When The Lights Went Out
Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: March 10, 2006 12:09AM

Thanks Bill,
I really appreciate you passing the word on to me about my moment in the dark. ;) I really doubt it will be this next year but if things go well I may just have a tented booth for 2008 with a whole line of my blanks for builders to see.
Thanks again Bill!

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Patrick Lloyd (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 03:13PM

Am I understanding this correctly? This is a production rod that glows or somewhat illuminates in the dark? Is there a web site to view this at????
Are the blanks available for purchase?

I REALLY, REALLY need to budget for next years show and be there!

PLloyd.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.68.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 05:02PM

That rod really stood out on the stage when the lights went out,........... and what did y'all do , pay a little extra for the guy at the switch to forget which one was the on button ? It was dark in there for a while. LOL!
Exelent raffle gift , wish I had wone that ....... John NERB

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 06:18PM

Tom K did not have any idea that Wylie had tipped the Swamp Boyz a few bucks to leave them off for awhile!

Wylie your money was well spent!

Gon Fishn

Date: March 10, 2006 08:15PM

Patrick,
I've been building the laser fishing rods that illuminate at night for about seven years now. In the beginning they were flashlights modified to fit the end of fishing rods but they have come a long ways and I have developed many different models now.
I wouldn't say they are full on production as of yet but the efforts are in place to stream line my production as to be able to produce rod blanks for fishing rod builders and I have had some built on by some of the best already.
I was just told yesterday that my first shippment of blanks has been back off to a ship date of the 6th of April and they are taking the slow boat over. My samples of some custom laser I am having produced should be in my hand by next week and I have been told lead time is one month.
My website is going to be rebuilt and that is in progress at this time. Pay close attention to your Rod Maker Magazines as there will be something about it in one of the up coming issues from what I have been told. I'll email you the web address of the existing website Patrick.
John Dow,
The laser fishing rod kit I sent was a door prize at the reception. I hope the winner gets some pictures of the finished rod and some fish pics I can see someday.

The lights going out was all Tom's doing and I have thanked him for setting things up that way. I didn't even ask him to do it. Most of the shows I have had my products at have never really been seen well because of the lighting in the show places.
Gotta love them Swamp Boyz!

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Date: March 10, 2006 08:17PM

Your email address is hidden Patrick. send me an email and I'll return one.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 09:35PM

Berkley also make a rod that glows in the dark. I think they only have 1 model (8 ft med-hvy). I saw it on a fishing show last week. They were fishing for Catfish after dark and you could really see the rods. Do a Google search for Berkley Glow Rod and you will find all sorts of info.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 12:30AM

Hank, the neatest thing about Wylie's is that the laser works in a straight line only. When a fish bites and the rod bends, that bent part of the blank doesn't glow anymore! You can sit back in a chair, drink a beer and just watch the rods from a distance and see a strike! Cool stuff!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2006 04:26PM

That sounds neat. Hopefully Wylie will have willhave something on his web site shortly.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: March 12, 2006 07:19PM

Thanks Hank,
They make eight different models and I think I read that they are all two piece but the seven foot models may be one. I'm pretty sure I have Berkely whooped other then price. Three AAA batteries and only 36 hours light with the Glow Rods, I get an easy 48 out of two AAA batteries besides being lighter because of the one less battery. I would guess the battery life stated for the Berkely Glow Stick Rods would be the seven foot models as the duration over the incresing distance of the wire needed for the longer rods would decrease battery life the greater the length of the rod. If there are no resistors before the LEDs which usually are rated at 30 ma they would be cooking the poor little LEDs and most likely with no heatsink as well. Shoot, now I got to go waste some more money on another competitors product just to know how badly this one is built.

Thanks Putter,
The difference between bending the rod and seeing a fish stike on the rod really looks a bit different unless it's one that completely hammers it.
Berkely did better then Zebco's Rhino Night Vision Rods but they still have a long ways to go before they can even start to compete with a Laser Fishing Rod.

Anybody who would want one of these Glow Sticks should check out Catfish Connection on the internet. From what I here they have the best prices on them.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster