I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira Question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 01:16PM

I'm completely sold on Madeira #40 Polyneon, but has anyone had experience with the FS metallic and the Supertwists. I just received the thread sample books and they are nothing short of amazing, colorwise. The FS comes in sizes 50 all the way to size 20 and the super twist is in size 30. They are all metallic/poly combinations. It appears that the sizes increase as the number goes lower (30 would be a little thicker than 40). Judging from the thread in the color cards, it's not a big difference (they could be intermixed without being real noticeable) but the smaller numbers seem to be slightly larger.

The color cards are fantastic for those that haven't seen them. The FS/Supertwist has 231 colors displayed with actual thread samples, and the PolyNeon one has 350!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira Question
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 01:57PM

Search here for more info, there's quite a bit posted on MAdeira Metallics. Supertwist as well.

The sizes of the FS - 7/2 50 weight metallics are VERY fine. I would say this metallic thread is close to size 00Nylon. 5/2 40 wt is very close in size to 4/2 30 weight - I forget, but I know the colored metallics come in only one of the 2 sizes, and the Gold/silvers come in the other. They are the same size as size A Gudebrod. I hae not tried any other size metallic.

Date: March 09, 2006 02:24PM

Billy,

I did a search for ALL DATES and only got 3 posts concerning Supertwist. You said that you didn't think that it was suitable for rodbuilding, but didn't say why. Is it a strength issue or something else? They are size 30 which should be larger than the 40 polyneon. They are 30% metallic and 70% Polyamide which is actually pore poly than the metallics. My chart shows FS metallic in 6 sizes from 20 to 50

They sure are Purdy!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2006 02:37PM

I used some of their pink thread for butt wraps on some rods I made the grandaughters on Christmas and you are right Mike..........."it sure is purdy" I was afraid to use it on guides. I hate change I guess.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Date: March 09, 2006 03:22PM

You're right, I never posted here why. When I used it for butt wraps I couldn't pack it. The thread goes on the blank "puffy". Run your fingers along the thread in teh color chart, you'll see it is not flat, but is textured. I also didn't find it nearly as strong as regular threads, but that was defiantely not an official test, I never tried wrapping guides with it, adn after I tried it that one time I never bothered with it.

HEre's teh deal - teh thread costs liek $5 for a million yards. Next itme anyone orders, get yourself a spool and play with it. Putter has doen this, and he loves the SuperTwist thread. He uses it on his guide wraps and hasn't had a problem. Is he wrong? Am I wrong? The only ones who are wrong are those relying on our opinions as to what works and doesn't work.

I do agree that thread looks great had has all those Pearlescent colors - I hope someone takes me up on my offer and tries the thread out and likes it. If not, I wasted $5 out of your pocket, which I'm sorry for. lol.

Date: March 09, 2006 03:28PM

Billy,
You're right and I already have some on order and plan on testing it. I just figured that I'd get your opinion since I trust it and don't know to many people that have your experience with thread. I use polyneon for guides with no problem and like it. I'
ll give it the "Mark Crouse test" and hang about 20#'s from a guide wrapped with it and see what happens

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: March 09, 2006 04:09PM

Cool. I hope you get it to work, because it is a very nice looking thread with a ton of color choices.

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.157.246.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 10:25PM

I have some of the Madeira supertwist, going to do a few test wraps with epoxy tonight or tomorrow. I already did some test with the white. Curious to see what happens with the other colors.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2006 03:48AM by Sean Endres.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster