I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank placement in the reel seat
Posted by: Rob Whitney (---.mesanetworks.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 11:05PM

I am in the process of building my first rod - St. Croix scV 4pc – 9ft - 6wt.
I am turning handle/reel seat/fighting butt. The fighting butt recesses into the reel seat 1” (it’s removable). This pushes the blank out of the reel seat 1”. I am planning to match the inside of the reel seat to the rod taper as best as I can. But........Will this create a weak reel seat to blank bond? Will the added leverage of the fighting butt / reel cause a wobble over time? Is there a better solution? I did run a search but came up empty. Any advice would be a great help.

Thanks

Rob Whitney

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank placement in the reel seat
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 12:10AM

In the past I have filed off some of the fighting butt adapter O.D. to allow it to slip into the end of the butt section and then the blank will almost go into the reel seat its entire length. When I did this I then thread wrapped over the blank on the very end of the blank (the overlapping distance) to reinforce it, coating with epoxy. I went so far as to build up layers of epoxy staurated thread on the blank until I aquired the reel seat I.D. The same arbhors can be built up with fibergalss dry wall tape, but the thread having some tension on it when wound does a better job in situation where structual reinforcement is sought.

Posted by: Bill Worden (72.174.225.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 08:35AM

OK here is a differrent approach. I built a 8wt Gatti and made my own removable butt. I mounted a standard reel seat just as you normally would, but left the butt cap off. Then I built a fighting butt and glued it on to a piece of scrap blank that fit the inside of the blank tightly when pushed all the way in. This way the reel seat itself reinforces the end of the blank.
An advantage of this method is that it keeps the grip in the normal position instead of pushing it forward, as it does when the blank is extended into the fighting butt.

The only down side is the bottom section is a little longer, so it has to be reomoved before putting it in a rod tube. Just my method...

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2006 09:15AM

Rob,
You'll be fine, there will be very little stress ever given to the epoxy bond from a 6 wt blank and anything it can hold. Your bond should be many, many times stronger than your blank.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 01:57PM

Another option in removeable fighting butts: a metal ferrule. the female part inserted inside the blank, and rod-bonded into place, so as not to fill the mating end with resin, and then the male half of the ferrule used to build the fighting butt on. A piece of tramp graphite can be used in the male ferrule to extend it a bit, for a longer fighting butt.
If the blank is too skinny for an insert, then you can go sleeve over. The reel seat would then need to be moved down, to cover, and the hole bored to the appropriate diameter in the end cap of the reelseat covers all quite nicely.
This sleeve over extends the length of the butt section of blank by the distance of the ferrule, so you can either live with that, or do a chop job, for the under 2 inch diff.
Works for me.... your milage may vary

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster