I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loomis IMX bent tip???
Posted by: Chris Cannon (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2002 09:28AM

I have just received a new G. Loomis "Slate" IMX 9' 10 wt 3pc.
The tip section has a considerable bend that does not line up with the spine.
Is it better to wrap the guides inline with the bend? Or should I wrap along the spine in spite of the bend?

Thanks in advance for your responses,
Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loomis IMX bent tip???
Posted by: Alan Gasior (62.40.91.---)
Date: May 23, 2002 09:47AM

Definitely wrap the guides along the spine!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: May 23, 2002 10:07AM

If your main interest is in line with good tracking on the cast, do what Alan says and use the spine. The curve will not be noticed except in your own mind. Loomis normally would wrap on the straightest axis. That will also work but may not track as well on the cast.

Posted by: Lincoln Parmer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 24, 2002 07:53AM

Dear Chris: Help Loomis with their QC problems. Return the blank to the factory. And ask them for a straight blank.

Posted by: Joe Hansen (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 26, 2002 04:48PM

Congratulations Lincoln that was the best suggestion anyone could have given. The blanks are very expensive and you should recieve what you pay for.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 26, 2002 08:20PM

It has been my experience and I have also been told that some of the very most expensive blanks are much tougher to make perfectly straight. I have been building rods for 15 years and have yet to have a perfectly straight blank land in my lap.

If the bend is way off, then return it. If not, keep it and use it. It won't hurt a thing and the amount of bend may not be a quality control problem. It might just be the norm for that rod and that type fiber construction.

Posted by: Jeff Stickle (---.nv.nv.cox.net)
Date: May 29, 2002 06:49AM

Excuse me but the norm for an expensive blank is not bent, it is straight. Next time you are at a store that sells Loomis check their manufactured rods. None of those blanks are bent. Why is that? It is quite simple - Quality Control or lack of it. Send it back if it is not straight. You probably will have to send back the next one you get too.
I quit buying Loomis blanks because of the problem you have encountered. Try some other manufacturers like St. Croix or Rainshadow (Batson) and I think you will find their rods to be quite true.

Posted by: Cade Conway (---.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: May 30, 2002 06:34PM

Almost every blank cheap or expensive has some sort of bend in it it depends on the extent or if it worries the induvidual as to if you return it

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster