I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji Hardloy Guides?
Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.68.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 08:17AM

How good are the Fuji Hardloy guides? Will they hold up if you are using
braided lines?
Thanks,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji Hardloy Guides?
Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.157.246.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 08:27AM

Yes, the hardaloys will be fine with braided line.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:03AM

Braided lines are no problem, but rust is... I made a set of 9 trolling rods with Hardloys for a charter captain, and in 3 years about 50% of the guides had a coat of surface rust and looked terrible. The Capt is a friend, and pretty meticulous about cleaning. All it takes is to put them away wet and salty once.... It's all titanium for me from now on, life is too short to be spent re-wrapping rods.

Posted by: Dave Ervin (148.177.69.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:07AM

Thanks for the info. These will be primarily used for freshwater fishing.
I thought these guides are stainless steel?
Dave

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:27AM

The braided SUPER lines don't cut guides, the fine sediment that gets trapped in the braid does. So it all depends on how dirty the water is you fish. The ceramic ring pecking order from the bottom rungs above simply that of a chrome ring; are made of alu. oxide PacBay's Hailoy (Darker almost brown ring material) and Fuji's Hardloy (lighter gray ring material). The next step up are the Alconite guides (much thinner black ring material) and after that are SIC guides, that are really expensive but not coated. Then the coated rings start there after using all the ring materials as a base, AND CAN BE CHEAPER THAN THE UNCOATED SIC GUIDES i.e. ZIRCONIUM COATED GUIDES (Added) Considering your salt water needs the Alconite guides do come in a stainless steel frame and besides being 35% lighter (in some instances and not the Sz.25 CYAG compared to a Sz.25 Fuji hi-frame hardloy) and ARE A STEP UP IN, from 1400 to 1700 on the Vickers haerdness scale. I guess the 35% weight savings comes almost enritely in the reduction of material in the creamic ring which is visably appearent and possibly some reduction the guide frame which isn't.

Emory Harry:
Thanks for the input but I see we both learned something in the next post, it just happened that I guessed right in the 1st place, thinking Alconite guides were harder than Hardloy of Hialoy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2006 09:42AM by Chris Karp.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:40AM

Dave,
I do not know this from first hand knowledge but I have read that the early braided lines that had Kevlar in them were the ones that were tough on guides but that the new braided lines do not use Kevlar. I do know that I have not seen a guide that was etched or grooved by the line in a long time.

Chris,
Alconite guides are also made of aluminum oxide. Alconite is just a trade name. The next step up in hardness from aluminum oxide are the zerconium guides offered by several manufacturers and they are much less expensive than silicon carbide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster