I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Durability of silk guide wraps & recommended brands...
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 12:13AM

Since we build light rods, always looking to save that last iota of weight. We're talking grains of weight saving....:)

How durable are silk thread for wrapping rods compared to regular A thread? We finish extremely thinly and one can feel the thread grooves still and we're content with that.

And what brands do you recommend as having the best quality/durability balanced by value for the $? (Otherwise we'd be building the GLXs....:)

Thanks in advance yet one more time to this GREAT forum. I've found none its equal on the web for helpfulness and graciousness.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Durability of silk guide wraps & recommended brands...
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 11:13AM

The Pearsall threads are probably the lightest and strongest for thread diameter. Bellinger to the left carries it. I've had good luck with thread from Angler's Workshop and Grodbrud also.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: March 08, 2006 01:34PM

Pearsall's Gossamer is the smallest silk I've ever seen. It will give you the lowest profile wraps that you'll find. I really like it, but it's not available in a ton of colors. But, if you find a color you like (e.g. java brown), you can wrap everything in that one color. Realize, though, that if you pack the silk really tightly, you'll have trouble getting your finish down in the tunnels. So, what I do with Pearsall's gossamer is to just wrap it as closely as I can get it (no packing), then burnish it, then put finish on it. Also realize that you probably need to use a specialized silk CP, if you're fond of CP. I always use it without CP, so I'm not an expert on this. The end result is quite impressive. A good gossamer silk wrap is ultra-low profile and looks as if it was "painted" on.

Date: March 08, 2006 02:29PM

Thanks!

Without CP, I assume that the threads turn almost translucent?

And how durable is silk compared to regular A threads if finished with a very thin finish?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.145.216.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 04:29PM

Most all bamboo fly rod makers use silks in their wraps... I would not worry about the strength.

Another source on the left is GOLDEN WITCH.

Most of the bamboo makers of old, used "00" and "A" size. You can buy "000" and finer if you want, but not necessary.

Usually, if you do not use any cp the wrap will be translucent.. I would suggest doing a test wrap before doing anything on your blank... as the colors change drastically with silks with or without cp. Depending on the final finish you plan on using, you will have different results.

Another thing with silks, you do not want to run it thru your regular tensioner, it will fray. Put the spool in a glass or cup, then run the thread thru the bottom pages of a heavy book, if you don't have enough tension,,,, add more books on top.

Remember too, nylon is round, silk is oval..... different when "packing" ..

Hope this helps ya,

Have fun.

Tight lines to all ~ ~

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: March 09, 2006 05:01PM

Personally, I think 4/0 is about as light as I care to go. You'll break the 6/0 and it is difficult to transition onto the foot. No difference in holding strength when compared with heavier thread. I do not think you gain much at all going from 2/0 to 4/0 thread in terms of finished weight. You could take a 1/2 inch off any grip and more than offset the difference in finish weight. I often build with grips as short as 5 inches. I shorten the reel seat inserts as well. Aluminum hardware.

Date: March 10, 2006 01:31AM

Don,

Thanks.

Apologies for my ignorance but would you kindly interpret for me:

What is A thread equal to - 2/0, 4/0 etc?
Pearsall Gossamer is 2/0, 4/0 etc?
If Pearsall Gossamer is not 2/0, what is?

Thanks again,
Mo

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.151.78.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: March 10, 2006 04:58AM

SIZE DIAMETER

00 0.0045
ELEPHANT SILK 0.006
A 0.007

This should give you an idea.

Tight lines ~ ~

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: March 10, 2006 01:40PM

A thread is 1/0. Pearsell's Naples is 4/0. Size 100 is 4/0. Size 50 is 3/0. Gossamer is 6/0. Gudebrod sells 2/0.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster