I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best all around fresh water spinning blank?
Posted by: Dennis Scott (---.static.scrm.or.charter.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 03:40PM

This Spinning rod will be used for small crankbaits, tubes, senkos, topwater, and small sized swim baits, small spinnerbaits. Lure wt. 1/8 - 5/8 oz. The rod needs to be fast action with enough power to handle stippers up to 8lbs and smallmouth up to 5lbs. Swim baits fished with 3/8oz and 1/2oz heads.

I am considering the following blanks...

Rainshadow ISB822.5
Rainshadow XSB813
St.Croix 3C66MLF (might not have enough power)
St.Croix 3S66MF
St.Croix 3S70MF
St.Croix 3C68MFX

Your input appreciated.....

Dennis Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best all around fresh water spinning blank?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 04:12PM

I'd have gone with the ISB822.5 or 3C68MXF until the swimbait, crankbait and topwater were in the mix. Personally I'd grap my 3 power Rainshadow IP popping or maybe the St Criox MM blanks for an overall. I'd worry more about keeping a fish on considering the area I'm fishing, hook and line sizes involved and less about the fish size, they don't weight anything in the water. I've fished the more moderate blanks more that than the extra fast above over the years so I go where my comfort zone is, till I have more time on them.

Posted by: Jerry Chambers (68.156.225.---)
Date: March 07, 2006 06:49PM

The Best all around would have to be the St.Croix 3S70MF or the 5s70mf. I use the St.Croix 3S70MF built as a spiral wraped casting rod every time I am in the boat. Just my opinion

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2006 09:34PM

Let me throw this out, buy a lighter power rod, such as the one you noted "might be too light" and extend it. You'll have an extra fast action rod capable of throwing that light stuff but also have good reserve power in the butt. I build all my rods this way. There was an article in a past RodMaker with all the "how-to."

Just one more avenue to consider.

Posted by: Glen Pare (---.lyncva.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 10:58PM

I'm kind of with Spencer on this. I use two ISB822.5. and one SC3C69MLXF. They are great for drop shotting, light jigging (1/4 oz bitsy jig with lil craw trailer, Brewer slider heads, small tubes ect.) They are probably a little two fast for crank baiting however. I haven't landed an 8# stripper with one yet but I have put a couple of 4.5# large mouths in the boat. You will also love they way they fish flukes on the river. If you are only going to pick one go for the ISB822.5. It has a little more back bone but you can't go wrong with either of them.

That extra fast tip is a beautiful thing when dealing with finnicky bass. Which is the reason that using for a crank bait is not so hot.

Good Luck.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 09:18AM

Dennis,
the SCIII ML DOES have enough power. Built tons of them for anglers and fishing clubs. By far the most popular for smallies and walleyes in my area. The only blank that I have built into customs and sold more of is the SCV in the med light. (Brown gloss finish)

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 10:25PM

Dennis I have evolved to St Croix rods for all of my spin fishing. As I read your post I mentally began to picture the excitement and fun of catching a 5 lb smallie on my medium light 6'6 SC 111. Wow! What a blast that would be. I fished walleyes in Canada last year on a remote lake. Two to Four pounders were very common. I used several rods during the week. The SC V 6' one piece could handle everything up to 15lb Northerns. Great rod but you pay a pretty penny for it but it is totally worth it. For the $ it's hard to beat the St Croix SC 111 rods. My rod of choice by the end of the week ( and the one the other guys wanted to use at times for the sheer fun of the catch) was an SC 111, 5'6 two piece, fast action. Remember, a good reel with a solid drag and light, strong line can handle a lot. Have fun with the whole decision and building process!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster