I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concept Question - Okay if guide spacing increases farther back?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 12:17AM

I'm setting up a new ISP843-3 for concept spinning. First guide is BYAG25 located 18 inches from spool face and I drop down BYAG16 and 10 to a choke/running guides of BLAG7. My question is that I notice to get the concept concentricity of the first 4 guides, as I come back toward the butt, I have 7.25 inches from BLAG7 to BYAG10, then only 6.25 inches from BYAG10 to BYAG16. Is this okay? I then have about 10 inches from the 16 to the 25. I guess I am use to progressive spacing and wanted to make sure I'm not doing something wrong or needing a different guide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concept Question - Okay if guide spacing increases farther back?
Posted by: Fred Crum (66.6.80.---)
Date: March 07, 2006 02:05AM

Marty,
I ran into this very problem on the rod I'm working on now! First off, I would suggest that you go ahead and tape on your guides according to what you've already worked out, stress test, and then test cast the thing. Aside from looking a little off, you might find that all is well. That said, there are several things you can do to tweak what you already have. First off, I'm not familiar with that rod, but a 25mm stripping guide on a 7' rod? Sounds huge to me- you may find that a 20mm would work out better, i.e. smoother line handling as well as solving your problem. You can also adjust your offending 10mm guide by bending the frame a little to adjust the height allowing you to move it forward or back as needed. You may find that a different progression may work out better, perhaps a 20, 12, 7, 7, 7 etc. Don't loose heart, it's all creative thinking, and tinkering. Most of all it fun!!! Enjoy and check back to let everyone know how it worked out for the benefit of us all.

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 07, 2006 02:54AM

Marty – Yeah, that spacing interval seems to be a bit odd. In a spinning rod, you would not expect to have a longer spacing interval between more forward guides, and a shorter spacing interval between rearward guides. Chances are, as you described it above, the forward interval is too long and the aft interval is too short around your BYAG-10mm Guide. But I do think that is the correct guide for that location / area.

Moving from the reel spool toward the rod tip: Once you get forward of the BYAG-10mm, and switch to your Running-FLY BLAG guides, you can pretty much IGNORE the idea of the guides forming a conical funnel continuous with the butt guide. Forward of your so-called “Intersect Point” just ahead of your BYAG-10mm guide, there is no further choking or funneling function required.

Between the Butt Guide and the Intersect Point (25mm-16mm-10mm) for your 84” rod), the cast line's tornado cone has been tamed down to this new ~ 8mm diameter. Forward of the Intersect Point, the guide placement is now determined mostly by the taper-action / curvature / power of the rod blank. In this tip section of a spinning rod, proper LOAD DISTRIBUTION is the main function of the line guides. Tentatively:

Reel Spool to Rod-Tip:
84” – [ (Rear Grip – 8”) + (Reel Spool – 6”) ] = 70”

Reel Spool to Butt Guide: 18”
Butt Guide Location from Rod-Tip: (70 – 18) = 52”

BUTT GUIDE: [BYAG] 25mm–52” ... 16mm–42” ... 10mm–35” ...
[BLAG] 7mm–29” ... 7mm–24” … 7mm–19” … 7mm–14” …
[BLAG] 7mm–9” … 7mm –4.5” … TIP-TOP.
~ or ~
BUTT GUIDE: [BYAG] 25mm–52” ... 16mm–42” ... 10mm–35” ...
[BLAG] 7mm–29” ... 7mm–23” … 7mm–17” … 7mm–11” …
[BLAG] 7mm–5” … TIP-TOP.

Guestimation of Ferrule Positions: ISP-84”-3-3-pc RainShadow-RX7
84” / 3 = 28”. Add ~ 2” per each ferrule: 84” + 2(2) = 88” / 3 = 29.5” sections.
First Ferrule Position: at ~ 30” from the Rod-Tip.
Second Ferrule position: ~ 57” from the Rod-Tip.

Putting (6) BLAG-7mm line Guides + (1) Tip-Top on the FOREMOST / TIP Section of this 3-piece Travel Rod may be loading too much weight on this section. But once you ditch this cone-of-flight notion forward of that BYAG-10mm, then a smooth Static Loading Distribution should give you a series of spacing intervals for your 5 or 6 Running Guides that makes more sense. … With the line guides and the relaxed & loaded rod in front of you, you can best see what the rod needs. IMO, -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2006 03:03AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2006 08:42AM

The spacing will be determined by the set-up as illustrated in the online article on the New Guide Concept. The guides go where they go.

Now when you have an odd spacing like this, where things seem out of sync, you want to try a different sized guide, or a higher or lower framed guide.framed guides To get the best set up, you have to be willing to mix and match your guide styles just a bit. I commonly end up with both high frame concept and standard frame spinning style guides in the same set up.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: March 07, 2006 11:52AM

It's not a Ouija Board -
there has to be some reason to the rhyme, ...
-Cliff Hall+++

Date: March 07, 2006 12:36PM

This is the sort of thing you can show somebody in about two minutes. To explain it in text takes pages and pages....

Very simple, easy to do, works great.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 01:53PM

Tom,
I get what you're saying completely. I have the annoying problem of having on hand neither a BYAG8 or LVSG10, either of which would solve my problem I believe. Bend the BYAG10 you think?

Date: March 07, 2006 02:23PM

You could... bit I think the better avenue is to get another guide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster