I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wood handles, goos source for wood blanks??
Posted by: John DeWitt (216.29.24.---)
Date: March 06, 2006 03:42PM

Hello,

I've briefly spent some time looking for blanks to turn wooden grips. Does anybody have a decent source for these pieces/blanks of wood? Seems like some of them are ridiculously expensive... Just getting started with my lathe, but any suppliers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wood handles, goos source for wood blanks??
Posted by: Erik Godwin (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2006 04:52PM

John,

I am actually a woodworker dabbling in rodbuilding... and I can (perhaps) help you out. People here have been generous with their time -- I can manage the same with wood scraps! I have a few pieces of fiddleback hard maple, mesquite, figured claro walnut, etc. that I am happy to send you depending upon the size that you need.

I forgot to mention initially that it would, of course, be free.

Let me know.

Erik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2006 05:10PM by Erik Godwin.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.199.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2006 07:51PM

Tropical exotic hardwoods of latin america. Google that and you will get a place run by Mitch Talcove in Southern California. Very decent prices on Cocobolo and other exotics. Some wood distributors are unrealistic with their pricing. These people are in line with market value.
The other alternative is to go out with chainsaw in hand and find something that catches your eye. Sometimes a discarded gnarled old stump can yield beautifully figured burl.

Posted by: Bill Worden (72.174.225.---)
Date: March 06, 2006 08:24PM

If there is one near you, you might try Rockler. They sometimes have some nice stuff, and not too bad for price. Otherwise, I find local specialty wood suppliers are better than what I have found online. Want something really unusual? how about 50,000 year old wood? Try ancientwood.com

Posted by: Erik Godwin (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2006 09:32PM

John,

For actual distributors, consider the following:

Gilmer Hardwoods: [www.gilmerwood.com] They have the best array of wooden eye candy on the net. It isn't cheap, and it has a $100 minimum, but they have turning squares in most dimensions and of woods that I cannot find anywhere else.

Hearne Hardwoods: [www.hearnehardwoods.com] Their selection of high-figure woods is spectacular, and they have excellent service.

Irion Lumber: [www.irionlumber.com] Another great source of high-quality lumber. I don't know if they have a minimum.

As mentioned above, Tropical Exotic Hardwoods is also excellent.

Erik

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 07, 2006 07:36AM

I pick my own. I also have a friend who is a wood worker who gives me stuff. I use wood that is native to the area up here, cedar, birch, maple, poplar, etc. And I have yet to cut down a live tree. You would be surprise what you can find during a walk in the woods.

Posted by: John DeWitt (216.29.24.---)
Date: March 07, 2006 09:40AM

Wow guys,

Thanks for all the help. I'm just getting started, so I'll do a little practicing before I move on to the expensive stuff. Thanks again for taking the time to respond. Have a good week.

John

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 09:00PM

I buy a lot of my wood from Penn State Industries. I've always felt their prices are reasonable.

Something else that I've heard of folks doing is going somewhere like a Kubota tractor store and taking their throw-away pallets. Apparently, their shipping pallets are often made out of some interesting exotic woods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster