I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What kind of thread and coating for visible guide feet???
Posted by: Ole Willers (---.gopas.net)
Date: March 06, 2006 05:42AM

Hello to all,

I have seen a rod with clear thread and coating so that you were able to see the guide foot very well. I would like to do the same on a current project.

Usually I use regular 2-K Epoxy coatings with good results, maybe that would be okay but what is the secret of the thread? Any tips?

RGDS,
Ole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What kind of thread and coating for visible guide feet???
Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.157.246.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 06, 2006 06:19AM

The secret is to use a nylon thread with no color preserver, and it will make the translucent look you are looking for.

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Posted by: Brad Young (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 06, 2006 07:20AM

If you want it to look like there is no thread at all you can use white silk thread. Do not use CP. When finish is applied the thread dissappears and the guide looks like it is just sitting on the blank.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: March 06, 2006 08:48AM

It's not as easy as just using white silk thread... You must be meticulous with your thread packing, you have to use the right kind of finish, and you have to use enough finish to completely penetrate the wraps AND have a think coating of finish above the wraps. I've played around with this a lot, and it's very tricky to get a wrap to be completely transparent.

Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: March 06, 2006 04:21PM

Hello Mike,

is flexcoat 2-K okay? How many coatings?

RGDS,
Ole

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 06, 2006 06:17PM

Berkley Trilene 4# test monofilament. :) 2# test, if you are brave.

Posted by: Bill Worden (72.174.225.---)
Date: March 06, 2006 08:33PM

Mike is dead on. It just ain't that easy. You have to do everything he says as well as have a very low viscosity finish for the first coat. The one guy that I know that does it often, thins his finish by 50% with acetone for the first coat. This is not recommended by manufacturers. There is also an issue with getting rid of microscopic bubbles next to the guide feet.
I to have been playing with this but have not mastered it yet.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: March 07, 2006 11:05AM

I was quite serious re the use of monofilament....it's water clear, cheap, uniform diameter, and it works.
In the last century, many rods made in the USA at the lower end price points featured mono instead of thread. Grab a tramp rod, and try it. You may like it. Works for me... your milage may vary.

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: March 07, 2006 12:27PM

It really isn't all that hard to do; it also isn't as simple as just using white silk and no color preserver. But with enough practice and patience, it can be done consistently.

Please forgive me Tom, for I am about to sin .......... the real trick is to use a very light hand on the 1st coat with finish that has been diluted ~50% with alcohol. Normally, I don't do any diluting or heating or any of the other things some folks swear by beyond using a 50/50 ratio, but in this one case, diluting really does help.

Step-by-Step tutorial on one way to do transparent wraps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster