I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hypalon grips
Posted by: al hutchison (---.idcnet.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 06:55AM

After running the grip on a lathe to form it is there any sealer or further preperation that should take place before putting them on the blank?
It was a pleasure to meet some of the people here on this board in Charlette.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hypalon grips
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 08:48AM

The last step I do (after 400 grit emery cloth) is "polish" it with a dryer sheet (same stuff you toss in with clothes). At medium speed the cloth will remove all excess fine hypalon "dust" and make the grip silvery - yes, the perfume will dissipate completely after a few hours.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 09:05AM

Hi Ken,

Will the dryer sheet work ok on EVA foam?

Thanks

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 09:26AM

I do the same as Ken does...but with a piece of old denim/jeans. From what I can tell with teh denim, it acts as a "buffer". Gives the grip a nice soft touch and that silvery sheen Ken is talking about.

Date: March 05, 2006 09:30AM

Hank,
Yes , works as "final polish" on hypalon, EVA, cork, wood. On cork you probably want to test a piece or two as it darkens the cork slightly - to me it looks "richer" but some people like the "bright white" look. If you're working with inlays you (especially light colors inlayed in black) you ought to turn the sheet or use a new one for the transition from the black to the light colors to avoid any transfer of the black "dust". Other than those stipulations it works very well.

Date: March 05, 2006 09:33AM

I showed a coule of folks at the show with a "hands on" the difference in finish - it really is pretty impressive. And the chemicals that leech out of the dryer sheets that I use (el-chapos "Kirkland brand" from Costco) are not silicone based so there's no worry there either

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 10:11AM

Ken & Billy

Thanks for the info

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 11:00AM

Ken,
I learn something new every day. You clever dog where the heck did you come up with that? I am going to go out into the shop and try it right now.

Date: March 05, 2006 11:21AM

Emory -
It was "revelation" I was trying to get a glossy look on an impregnated piece of rosewood handle. I went to bed to "sleep on it". Just before I went upstairs I was thinking about different buffing compounds and how buffing is done against a buffing wheel - but the handle was already installed on the rod. So I was thinking about transferring jeweller's rouge to a soft buffing cloth and doing the polish while it was on the rod (rotate the piece rather than buff against a wheel). Hmm rotation is the key and compound is the issue. I tossed some clothes into the dryer as a last step before meandering upstairs. Laid down and "poof!" hmmmm " why not use the compounds on the dryer sheet?". At speed they release from the sheet, the sheets are soft by nature and I can toss them away when done and not have to continually tear up old undershirts (or denim jeans)... So I tried it on the rosewood and got excellent results. From there it was intuitive "if it worked on wood - why not EVA/ Hypalon? As I said the only drawback is on cork - as some people prefer the whiter look (until the first fishing trip and clam snot/scales).

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 11:26AM

I can see that I am going to have to start treating you with more respect.

Posted by: al hutchison (---.idcnet.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 11:33AM

I was wondering about the softner sheets but didnt know what effect it would have on the hypalon. I also didnt think about the jeans either, guess I wanted to be safe right now before I tried anything, hate messing things up.
Thanks Billy and Ken for your suggestions.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas24.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 02:13PM

Who would have thunk it ??
I wonder what my $200.00 silk shirt would do to wood, cork eva ?? Hmmmmm

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 02:44PM

Thanks Ken P.
Like Emory said "learn something new every day"

Bill,
Please post the results of your silk shirt test!! LOL!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas32.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 08:35PM

Right away Ray, and the ' check is in the mail ' ???

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 08:49PM

Ken et al.,

I find it interesting that using the anti static drier sheets work wonders on grips. It reminds me when I was working for Dupont and they came to me and ask me could I identify the active ingredints in " Bounce". It is sodium octyl sulfate. A wax like compound that would seal the grip and provide a gloss. I have two reservations about this: 1. How long will it last? 2. Don't even think about trying to "flock" it. (Ken, I doubt I could fix it after your experience of trying to train your dog to fish if you had used that stuff on it..) Billy your idea of using "old jean" might be better.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 06, 2006 08:33AM

Better is a relative term. Try both methods, see which one you like best. There is no abrasives in teh denim, it's teh heat & friction which "buffs" the foam. My son went from 5'5 to 6' in 2 years, I haev plenty of scrap jeans to use, and he wore then ghetto style baggy and big, so I'm not worried about my supply of material, lol/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster