I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tru-oil
Posted by: Kyle Caldwell (---.lkwnny.adelphia.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 01:05PM

Down in charlotte i bought a bunch of Andy's exotic cork for making grips, had some samples in the past and feel in love with the stuff. Andy had mentioned and ive seen it in photos here that adding some coats of tru-oil to the grip really brings out the beauty of the exotic burls. Just wondering how the tru-oil effects the feel of the grip if i only added a couple of coats. I really dont like the way cork seal makes grips feel but i bought it to seal grips for flocking..... Thats why ive been a litle apprehensive about coating gripsin tru -oil in the past. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Kyle
P.S. The show kicked A$$, you can bet ill be back in charlotte next year!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tru-oil
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 01:11PM

Please do not use the Tronkad Cork Seal or the True Oil as a cork sealer prior to flocking. Acrylic based color preserver or multiple coats of the Donjer adhesive will provide the substrate you desire. I hope you picked up a copy of the text for the flocking workshop. If you did not email Donjer and they will send you a copy with your next order.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 04, 2006 01:50PM

Tru Oil is awesome on burl cork grips. Rub it on with a coffee filter (no lint) or your fingert. It will only enhance the look. Put as few or as many coats as you like. If you're not sure, try it on one ring

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 01:53PM

A single coat of Tru-Oil will really enhance the colors of the cork and won't have much effect on the feel. Multiple coats will make the grip feel firmer and will tend to give it a bit of a sheen. Whether you like the change or not is a personal thing. I like it but some don't. Sacrifice a ring or two for an experiment and decide whether it works for you.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 02:07PM

Bill's caution on using it prior to flocking is good advice. Tru Oil like most finishes will develop a smooth and even feeling finish on the surface it is applied to which is unecessary prior to flocking.

I use to feel that unfinished cork provided a superior feeling grip but I built some all wood grips sanded to 2000 grit and finished them with several coats of Tru Oil to protect and enhance the appearance of the wood. Over the past year I have fished with these grips and have come to enjoy the smooth finish and the performance they provide. At this point I see no advantage in returning to cork grips natural or burl other than for cosmetic reasons.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 06:15PM

Question for Mike Barkley:

Do you sand the rings to smooth them up before coating with Tru-oil?

Thanks,
Ed Smith

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 12:01AM

Ed,
Yes, once glued you have to smooth them up and shape and size them. When first bonded you'll get a rough uneven cork cylinder that you have to make into a grip.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 05, 2006 12:55AM

Ed,

Yes. I al2ways glue up my grips and sand them, usually up to 400 and then put Tru Oil on them. Gives a really nice finish!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 08:35PM

Thanks Mike and Spencer,

I got some of the burl cork from Andy Dear in Charlotte. I have never worked with it before. Using it with some black walnut that I have turned, Use tru-oil on the walnut. So far looks great, but just got it all glued up today. Will sand to 400 grit.
Again thanks,
Ed Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster