I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building My Retirement Rod - Oppions Requested
Posted by: Steven Halladay (---.att.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 01:04PM

I am looking for a new rod blank. I have built four or five fly rods over the past 25 years, all on Powell blanks; last rod built was in mid 90's. All 6 wt, 9 ft, the current rod will generally handle a 5wt DT in some situations. For those of you that might know the rivers, I fish primarily in Idaho with some occasional ventures into Montana and Utah. I fish Kelly Creek (actually more a medium plus river and my favorite), Henry'sFork, Madison, Green River, Provo, various forks of the Boise river, most frequently the Big Wood near Sunvalley a small to medium stream, depending on run off.. With height water flows this year I will probably concentrate on the Silver Creek, this a beautiful spring creek, very intimidating, with a some large areas of water, I hate to admit it but I have never fished it, I drive past it many time on the way to the Henry's. The stream /fish can be very intimidating and it is not a 6 wt line stream.

I am planning to build a “retirement rod(s), a quality rod(s)” that I hope will get more use and I can use on the water I fish. I am considering a 4 weight rod in 9 foot length. I require both short line casts, Big Wood, 10-15 feet and short and long casts at Kelly Creek. I need some power to counter light wind/breeze. I primarily fish size 14-20 flies, frequently use 6x-7x tippets, or the smallest I can use for the fly in use. I occasionally fish with some small nymphs. I do need the ability to toss a size 14 stimulator ( Good Cutthroat fly) and maybe a small dropper nymph attached. This latter may be a bit too much for a 4 wt. I have never fished with a 4 wt. I have typically been a one-pole person, I like to be ready for most of the conditions required on a stream, I will walk several mile up or down a stream to get away from the crowd, so I do not carry more than one pole and can not readily change poles.

It is still snowing here and I have not had much opportunity to test drive new fly rods, I have tried the 4wt Sage SLT, on the grass (this type of testing is of little value and getting a loaner is like pulling teeth) to get the feel of the rod. Most of my research has been talking with people ( they talk what they sell) and reading the forums.

I do not particularly want to spend the money for “big name blanks” and I might want to build more than one pole, different action, length, line weight etc.

I am considering the following actions: Sage 590-4 SLT, the only one I have tried. I am interested in the Winston BIIx 9ft, and WT 81/2 ft and the Thomas and Thomas Helix in 9ft -4 looks interesting. The only thing I know about these rods is what I have read, I have flipped the two Winston’s in the fly shop, with no line. Still snowing or a pretty good wind this time of the year.

1. I would like your professional recommendations based upon what I have said as to the most appropriate or recommended pole and action.

2. I do not particularly want to spend the big dollars for the name brand blanks, so if you could identify other blanks that closely mirror the action of the poles mentioned, then I might be able to talk the boss into more than one new pole. I want to try the multiple section rods, tied of the long two piece poles.

Thanks for your time and consideration.
Steven

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building My Retirement Rod - Oppions Requested
Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2006 01:15PM

I just built on two CTS blanks from Andy Dear. Fairly priced for the best blank you will ever cast. If I, god forbid, had to limit myself to one rod, it would be the CTS Affinity fly rod I just finished. I have built on every fly blank brand around and love them all, but this thing is truly special. Plus the color selection is phenomenal. Hit their link on the side then give Andy a call.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2006 01:36PM

I believe that I would choose the 9', 2 piece G Loomis in the GLX grade. I am about 6 months from retirement and my favorite stream is Rock Creek in SW MT.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 02:30PM

I was raised on the Madison and have fished SW Montana for 60 years evolving from bamboo through fiber glass and now grapite rods. Prior to my retirement and entrance to rod building I was very satisfied with two rods. I had a 9', 3#, Loomis IMX and a 9', 5#, Loomis GLX that served me very well. Six years and some 37 rods later I still think that they are hard to beat. I no longer have either rod however and have had no problem finding blanks from Dan Craft, Batson, St Croix, Pac Bay, and Lamiglas that will serve my needs just as well at a lesser cost. There are a lot of good blanks among the companies I have listed although for $ value alone it would be difficult beat the Dan Craft blanks. If you look through the CCS data base you can get some comparison between rods you have enjoyed and what may be similar.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster