I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wine glasses w/guides
Posted by: Brendan Armstrong (72.24.238.---)
Date: March 03, 2006 03:22PM

I saw the wine glasses with guide wraps ant the Charlotte Show. They looked great! Any ideas on how they were turned? It seems like an awfully big spread for a rod wrapping chuck. I'd like to try one (or two) if I knew the secret.

Thanks
Brendan Armstrong
Boise, ID

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wine glasses w/guides
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2006 03:56PM

Did you buy one?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 05:00PM

Contact Billy Vivona of NERBS

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: March 03, 2006 05:29PM

Contact Mike Joyce of NERBs; he wrapped 'em!

Good- Wine Glass
Better- Wine Glass w/Wine
Best-My two wine glasses, wrapped, with wine!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 03, 2006 05:31PM

lol!!! There is a giant secret on wrapping the wine galsses. Fly Tyers might be able to help out. Mike has perfected his style with loads of masking tape, Krazy Glue, he uses his 6 y/o son's pointer finger to hold a thread - and still manages to get a PERFECT guide wrap with trim bands on teh stem of those slippery glasses.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 06:58PM

I'M sorry Mike! i thought it was Billys work

Date: March 03, 2006 07:57PM

Thats okay Barry, beleive me.

Brendan....start with simple household objects before you tackle a wine glass. As you adapt to ways of wrapping objects other than a blank, you'll figure out how to do it. Thats how I did it, or figured out how to do it, with reasonable success.(try to stick a baseball bat in a chuck! lol)

Might make a great "fun" article in Rodmaker......"How to wrap a Pringles can, and other objects".

It ain't easy...and its a secret. (sorry)

Mike

Northeast Rodbuilders (NERBS)

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 08:31PM

Michael, I'll share my upcomming "stained glass" butt wrap secret with you if you tell me how you did it!

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.151.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 10:34PM

He wouldn't even tell me !!!! and I drove with him in the truck for a grand total of 32 hrs ............. I tried and all he kept telling me was somthing about a weighted bobin ?????????? LOL
John NERB

Got Fish ?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.13.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 01:20AM

Probably turned it in his lap with either a weighted bobbin for tension, or the old thread though the book for tension. Any pictures of these things on the photo board ?

Posted by: Kirk Miller (12.154.143.---)
Date: March 04, 2006 01:44AM

Wine glasses with guides wrapped on? Were they on the stem?, or on the globe part of the glass? I think I would be tempted to make some kind of tapered Jig with a stem to go in a lathe chuck, to put on the top part of the wine glass, and tape it on there, then some kind of round plug witha stem to tape to the bottom. That way you have both hands free to apply the guide. Thats just me thinking this through after a few beers so don't take this as the handbook on how to do this. I am going to have to figure this out though.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.13.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 01:52AM

Kirk
You would have to do some thing like that in order to finish the wrap. Sounds like the way to go.
Have another beer, you will figure it out. LOL

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 11:08AM

One key to wrapping a guide on is finding the spine. There's a special jig to do this which we are working on a patent for.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 11:36AM

Rich Matranga has a quick and easy way to do it on a power wrapper

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 12:55PM

Billy,
If your jig is built using two horse shoes welded to a track pad from a Caterpillar D10 I have the patent applied for already.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 04, 2006 03:58PM

Brendan,

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll be happy to help you.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Jim Gary (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 04, 2006 10:11PM

Mike I bought 2 of your glasses at the show. We returned to fl. on Tue. and becky (my wife ) went out abd bought $60 worth of glass and acrylic stemware. After studying your product under a strong light, I figured it out. I have completed 4 glasses and will start a set to match our china By the way I first saw this at the Maimi Boat Show about 16 or 17 years ago, but forgot about it. Your workmanship is better then mine, but I will get better.I promise not to tell.

Date: March 05, 2006 06:26AM

Jim, many thanks to you and Becky for helping out our booth picking up a pair of glasses. Hopefully you two picked up some margarita "blanks" also.

Here's some amusing stats based topic and emails

woven guide wrap(photo)- 1 email
thread art history(topic) - 4 emails
wine glasses(photo/topic)- 23 emails

I responded to 4 of the 23 with tips....none of the 4 took the time to say "thank you"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2006 06:48AM by Michael Joyce.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: March 05, 2006 08:16AM

Spine?

Buy a set of these things and have a few glasses of the requisite wine. After that your set will appear to be spiral wrapped and spine won't be a concern anymore.

Jay

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: March 08, 2006 02:16AM

Hey Mike,

I think you forgot my e-mail dated Jan.31 where I not only thanked you but I went on to praised your work after you gave me a tip on using CP on the stem of the wine glass. Man am I hurt :> (. Just kiddin. We all love this website and everyone who's on it even if every once in a while a few forget to say thanks. Anyway, Michael, thanks again the tip on the CP it made wrapping wine glasses a snap on my power wrapper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster