I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Switch rods?
Posted by: Troy Ketela (65.164.31.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 11:47AM

I've been building my own flyrods for about 10 years now., and have largely confined my fishing to trout, bass and pike. Last year I started fishing for Atlantic salmon, and found myself in a few situations where I could use a longer rod.

I was thinking of building a 10 footer, and one suggestion that I got here on the board was to build it as a switch rod. I've built a lot of traditional flyrods, and last year finally picked up a book on spey casting thinking that I might eventually build myself a two hander. Could anyone explain the switch rod concept for me (I assume that it a hybrid one/two hander), and maybe suggest some resources where I could do some research in building one, and how it is cast.

Many thanks!
Troy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switch rods?
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 12:32PM

Check out Bob Meiser's site. He is a sponsor on this board and a expert on double/single handed rods and casting. He is also a very nice person. He helped me a lot by answering a lot of my questions when I was building a 10 ft switch rod a year ago.

[www.meiserflyrods.com]

Posted by: tim hough (71.224.105.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:44PM

Ditto Bob's posting. He helped me with a 12 1/2 footer I built.

Tim

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 02, 2006 04:10PM

I've built a couple switch rods but am not good or experienced with the two handed casting personally. I used Bob's site and some e-mails from him helped guide me on the handle construction and line selection. I think the keys are finding a suitable blank/line combination and building a functional and comfortable handle. Once you get the rod right, you just have to learn how to use it to your advantage. A moderate to moderate-fast action 10-11' blank with longer than normal grip and 5" rear grip is the basic recipe.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.los-angeles-10rh15-16rt.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 04:40PM

the idea behind a switch rod is that you can eirther use it for single handed casting or two handed casting. it needs to be short enough and light enough for one handed but be useable with two hands as well. i built mine on a 10 foot rainshadow blank. i used a pack bay A8 reel seat and a
5" fighting butt. i removed the cork on the fighting butt and added an extension making it 8". i used a 10" pre made spinning rod handle that i turned down and reshaped as the main handle. works well since the rear handle is removeable.

Posted by: Troy Ketela (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 06:48PM

So now my curiosity is piqued. I wonder, just how good is a switch rod at either single or two-handed casting? Does it suffer in performance compared to either a dedicated 9 footer or a dedicated long rod? I'm wondering if you compromise either ability to get both in one rod?

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 09:12PM

Well, a dedicated 9' is a better single handed tool than a switch rod. A dedicated 14' Spey rod is a better double-hand tool than a switch rod.

I fish a 10'3" 9/10wt which is set up as a switcher and it really shines at dredging deep runs on the coast rivers out here...matched up with 300-400gr lines, it doesn't tire you out like a single hander might, but it's small enough that I don't constantly bang it into trees, brush, etc like you might with a big Spey rod. I couldn't find a Spey line that the rod liked-- even a 5/6 Windcutter was a bit long...it wanted to fish about a 35' head, and the 'cutter is 43' or so. I ended up using a Anadromous Advantage running line (5' belly) and adding 30' tips to it.

I've also done the same setup with a 11'0" 5wt blank, for fishing our little searun cutthroat. That's really more a Spey rod, though...I never overhand cast it (it'd probably blow up, LOL).

If you're really just looking for a longer reach and a bit more distance, a 10'0" or 10'6" single handed rod should get the job done.

Seems like you've missed out on a couple steps of most folks' progression to the switch rod concept:

9'0" = It's too short to roll cast, mend, control line, etc. (then)
10'0"= It's great for that, but I'd really like to do two-handed stuff (then)
Spey (13-14')= Gosh, I can throw the line a mile two-handed, but the streams I fish are really not that big where I'd need to do that. (then)
10'6" Switch rod= Hmm, this does everything that I want a rod to do (OR: this does nothing well, I prefer _____).

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 10:04PM

I have built only one switch rod, an 8 weight on a 10' Dan Craft FT blank, so I really don't know what I'm talking about; but here's my thoughts based on two days of fishing it. First, I built the rod with the idea it would primarily be a single handed rod, and only occasionally fished as a two hander. The fixed butt is 3.75" long. I used a Struble U15 seat, and a long main grip of 10.5". (The butt and grip lengths were chosen after an exchange of email with Bob Meiser, who really is a great help and resource.) I ended up with 10 guides.

I used the rod on the Skeena River outside Terrace, B.C. The technique in that part of the river is short casts with lead core heads ranging in length from 8' to 15'. As a single handed rod it was very powerful and it threw a very long line with the LC13 heads. (The guides kept telling me to shorten my casts, because I was casting beyond the fish.) With a two handed cast the rod did not work well with the heads, so I reverted to my standard rods. I finally tried a long belly floating line with the rod on the second day, and that improved the two-handed casting. From this I conclude that the choice of line is a very important part of the switch rod concept. I cannot make a line recommendation, however.

To answer your question, based on my limited experience the rod does not suffer as a single hander by reason of the longer butt and grip. In fact I used the front of the grip as a fore grip while landing fish. I am no spey caster, but I cannot see how a switch rod could match a longer rod. What it does offer is versatility; and in the case of the four piece FT it is much easier for air travel. Never one to give up, I am going to build a 10’ 10 weight on an FT for my steelhead trip this year.

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.dhcp.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: March 03, 2006 12:40AM

Switch rods are amazingly effective, and diverse fishing / delivery tools.

....But like any fly rod <> Regardless of them being single or two handed: The blank tapers must be designed correctly to perform the required tasks, and they must be married to the correct lines to maximize their delivery and fishing capabilities.

RB Meiser Fly Rods pioneered the switch rod concept, and we have totally perfected it.

We have 14 blanks from 3/4 wt to 10/11 wt with grain widows of 150 to 750 grains <> 10'6" to 11'6" in length, all available in 4 pc, some available in 5 pc....In two speed of recovery rates: Fast and fast/medium fast. All progressive tapers.

We do also have an entire series of floating lines with interchangeable tips, Skagit style shooting heads with interchangeable tips, and full sink full float shooting heads <> All specifically designed for these rods, and availble for either cold fresh and salt, or warm salt water applications.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call the shop and we can direct you towards the correct blanks and line marriages to meet your exact applications.

Bob Meiser <> RB Meiser Fly Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster