I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread for sage XP?
Posted by: karen erickson (---.dsl.zianet.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 11:41AM

I looked at the Gudebrod site and see a light green and a dark green - can anyone tell me what the factory thread for the XP is? And I'm thinking of going with no CP, is there any other color thread that you have used on that olive colored blank that might look good?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread for sage XP?
Posted by: Alan Gasior (217.13.181.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 12:37PM

I personally like 441 Charcoal with 9396 Metallic Copper trim. Very classy looking.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: March 02, 2006 12:52PM

Gudebrod (251)Goldenrod is the original, without CP.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 04:36PM

I've built two XP rods. Both the rod builder I got them from as well as Sage said they use Gudebrod 340 Old Gold without CP (do not use Rice, it's much different). The only issue I had was when I use to use a brush, the wraps were a tiny bit blotchy but I still liked it. Recently I used a spatula to apply finish over 340 and it soaked in much more evenly, although still a tiny bit of a mottled affect - but sharp looking. Next time I order thread I'll get a spool of Goldenrod to see what it looks like. You might call Sage and see if they've changed anything - www.sageflyfish.com.

Date: March 02, 2006 05:19PM

So this would be regular nylon with no color preserver, not NCP thread?

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.201-252-190.telecom.net.ar)
Date: March 02, 2006 07:22PM

If willing to make a classic rod look like no classic at all, try using 272 Blue Dun with Metallic Aqua/Metallic Green trim.
I´ll look for the pictures I can not seem to find right now.
Oh, NO color preserver!

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 07:51PM

Yes, regular nylon - no CP.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (24.70.165.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 11:41PM

340 Gold without CP is what the XP has on it,according to Sage(at least that is what I was told by them).The SLT has 200 Sunburst,without CP as well.

If I were building either I would use something different than these,so your rod looks like a custom rod,not just another factory one.I built a SLT a while back and did it like the factory rod,and while I do like the colors used,I really wish I had done something different to set the rod apart.The black/orange Classic Twist without CP,and trimmed with either metallic gold or metallic copper looks fantastic on this blank.

The XP is a dark olive green blank,so any of the greens will look good,as will any of the shades of brown.A medium brown shade without CP would look nice.As I mentioned,one of my favorite thread colors(especially on earthy tone colored blanks) is black/orange Classic Twist without CP.It turns into a light brown/dark brown color that looks alot like wood grain.This would probably look as nice on the XP as it does on the SLT.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2006 11:48PM by Tony Dowson.

Date: March 03, 2006 10:06AM

Tony, I had thought about trying something "with a twist", but have never seen any pictures of how that might look. The wraps that I have seen pictures of on the xp all kind of look "muddy", so I might try something more exotic. Could you send me a pic of your twist wraps? Thanks, k.

Posted by: Joshua Markvan (208.165.251.---)
Date: March 03, 2006 12:01PM

I have struggled to find the perfect thread match for the XP finish.
My favorite is sold by Angler's Workshop. I know it was once made by Rice, but Rice has recently changed locations and experienced some upheaval with the move. So I've had a hard time getting this perfect stuff. I've substituted with a color from Madiera #40 that worked well but not so perfect as the Rice stuff. Sorry but I can't give you any model numbers right now.
I would call Angler's. I think they have recently gotten this stuff in stock.
Tell them you're looking for a thread color to best match the XP finish.

Josh Markvan
www.markvanheirloom.com

Posted by: Ron Greenbank (---.cot.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 02:48PM

I did an XP and called Sage. They told me Gudebrod Goldenrod. I used it and it came out splotchy. User error I'm sure. On the next XP I used Anglers Workshop Olive. It is almost invisible. I like my threads to match the blank as close as possible with a little trim for accent so I really liked it.

Good luck.
Ron Greenbank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster