I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Roller Spinning Rod!
Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 07:31AM

Ive been looking for an excuse to do this for a while now, and finally did it.This is for heavy aplications such as baiting marlin, sharks, tuna and wahoo, where distance casting light baits are needed. The rod in conjuntion with this reel is capable of handling up to 60# line. The Accurate Twin Spin that will be used on this rod is capable of drag pressure in excess of 30lbs! The hybrid roller/ring guide configuration is optimized to take the line friction away from the heaviest load bearing areas of the rod, yet still allow a large casting ring configuration for smooth line flow and effortless casting distance. The first cast I made with it with the gudes just taped on was to the end of my street (about 80 yards) with a 2oz sinker with no line slap at all...not too shabby for a 7' 60lb stick! This thing should easily be able to fling a 1/4lb. mac better than 100yds.
The blank is a Calstar 700H with 1-1/2" trimmed from the tip, Batson/Forecast Ring guides w/TiCh PVD coated Zirconium inserts(available by special order), Forecast EasyTight Reel seat/gimbal to match the reel, and All American @#$%& Roller Guides. Notice in the last pic with the reel, I installed the seat in the "downlocking" position. The extended length of the sliding hood on this reel seat leaves a nice smooth spot for your thumb while gripping the reel stem. By far the most comfortable aluminum seat for a spinning setup I've ever felt.
The colors are to match the logo of one of the vendors displaying at the FH Show. The colors look great as a logo, but were tough for me to translate into a rod...I wrapped this sucker 3 times before I was finally happy with it!!! LOL! The first attempt had green marbled flames. Looked kinda cool at first, but after rotating on the dryer for a few hours the green flames beaded up for some reason....and I ended up with bright green polka-dots on a dark red backround! I ended up striping it down, and ultimately ended up with black and grey marbling over 206 red underwraps, and red and grey tiger wraps on the butt and mid wrap.

Some pics....

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2006 07:32AM by Scott Throop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roller Spinning Rod!
Posted by: Steve Gardner (65.41.39.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 09:17AM

That is really a good looking rod.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 10:55AM

Scott,
Looks great. Was it at the FH Show? I was there yesterday and didn't see it. If so, will it be at the San Diego FH Show as well? Thanks, Randy.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 11:00AM

Scott, nice seeing your rods finally at the AA booth, sorry I missed you.
Randy, stop by the Anglers Choice booth at Del Mar and say hello, I'll be on one of the cash registers

Posted by: Erik Kunz (65.209.251.---)
Date: March 02, 2006 12:11PM

Scott... Great work. Very clever use of the AA Roller guides... I like it. How big was your stripper guide? That reel is a beast!

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 01:45PM

Jim,
Will do. By the way, your Rodmaker Magazine gaff at Charlotte was pretty sharp (literally). Really liked the color combinations. Randy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2006 01:46PM by Randy Search.

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:20PM

"Scott,
Looks great. Was it at the FH Show? I was there yesterday and didn't see it. If so, will it be at the San Diego FH Show as well? Thanks, Randy."

...Yes It is at the Fred Hall Long Beach show In the Candy Catchers booth...row 400 somewhere. It wont be at the Del Mar show, unless Accurate Reels Decides to display it in their booth. The rod belongs to Jack Nilsen from Accurate to use on "product development trips" hehe.

"How big was your stripper guide? That reel is a beast!"-Eric Kuntz

The stripper is a # 50 ring, the biggest insert guide available that I know of. Yes that reel IS a beast! The whole rig is actually lighrer than I imagined it would be, and balanced guite well, but i wouldnt want to cast it all day. LOL! This rig is more of an opportunity target rig, built with the marlin tournament guys in mind.

Jim, sorry I missed you man! It was nice seeing Doc again, and finally met the Dragon Master himself-Jim Upton, Would have been nice to see you too! To B.S. with three of the most talented crafstmen whose work I've been amiring for years, all on the same day would have been too darn cool!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster