I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Anyone removed a Threadmaster coated wrap yet?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 08:17PM

In my first attempt with Threadmaster I had a bubble problem but warmed it up some the next time and it worked much better. Then I followed Tom's Better Epoxy Finish article and made a perfect long finished wrap.

But I've had occasions to remove wraps on two different blanks. First was a Rainshadow that the ceiling fan beat up a couple of guides on and the Threadmaster finish was difficult to get off the glossy finish blank. Not a big problem since I was able to install the replacement guides in the exact same spot. And after removing the test wrap with trim bands on a GLoomis matte black blank, it actually appeared to etch into the blank somewhat and luckily it was under where the foregrip goes. I don't use CP and wonder if that's why it was so difficult to get off. Just wondering whether or not it's just me? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone removed a Threadmaster coated wrap yet?
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.236.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 08:46PM

Yes...because you didn't use CP....that's the reason.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishimg.com

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:14PM

Tim,
Sorry you had so much trouble with Threadmaster. I find Threadmaster the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have used two 8oz. bottles so far and I find it the best finish I ever put on. I have not had any bubble or fisheye problems with threadmaster. I have removed a guide with threadmaster on and It was difficult which impressed me becasue it had only been on a couple of days ( a customer stepped on a new rod and broke a guide). I usually don't use CP unless I am looking for a particular color. I have always been a flexcoat type of guy, but I can't wait till Andy get's back up and running so I can get some more. Good luck Tim.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:55PM

Tim,
I do not think that it being difficult to get off is necessarily bad. If it is soaking into the texture of a matt finish it will hold better. I have used up an 8oz. bottle of Threadmaster and liked it a lot and I usually do not use color preserver and I had very little in the way of problems with bubbles. The only reservation I have about Threadmaster and whether I switch to it or not is the price.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.36.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 10:33PM

The price? It's only barely a couple $ more than most other finishes and still cheaper than some?

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Date: March 01, 2006 10:40PM

Don't get me wrong, after changing over to a spatula, I'm getting great results. My bubble problem was twofold - a lot of bubbles were introduced while mixing which I'm used to with Flex Coat. But when I would pour Flex Coat onto the tin foil, shortly afterwards all of the bubbles would burst at the same time as if on cue. The bubbles just stayed in the Threadmaster when it was poured onto the foil. So the next time I used it, I got it a bit warmer, strirred it much slower, and bubbles were minimal. Plus I don't think the brush I was using was in the best of shape - that's why I switched over to a spatula.

However, I've removed wraps with and without CP that were finished with Flex Coat and I was able to remove all traces of the finish without any marks left on the blank. Since Threadmaster is adhering so well, I just hope there's no chemical reaction with the blank's surface and is actually weakening it since it does appear to be etching/eating into it slightly. But it does level great and makes for a smooth finish even a novice like me can be proud of.

Date: March 01, 2006 10:47PM

There is no reaction taking place. ThreadMaster contains no solvents at all to harn the blanks finish....it's just adhering better, which is an attribute not a detriment.

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 01, 2006 11:26PM

Bubbles tend to release better when working at warmer temps - this is true regardless of the finish type. Cooler temps make the finish a bit thicker and won't allow any introduced bubbles to release as easily. Sounds like you got things worked out.

Posted by: Terry henson (---.arcdca.adelphia.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 12:44AM

Hey Andy, send me some and I will experiment with it for you and solve these types of threads......;-)

Terry

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 03:51AM

LOL tried that a number of times but andy wont budge terry

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: March 02, 2006 08:50AM

While on the subject of Threadmaster, what is a typical "working time" folks are finding when using this product? I've used it on a couple of projects, and really like the way it goes on, levels, etc. But, it seems to start thickening pretty quick, even spread out on foil.

Bilgee

Date: March 02, 2006 09:58AM

Andy,
I priced it at Angler's workshop and it was nearly twice as expensive as the Flex Coat that I have used for many years. I will go back and check to insure that I did not make a mistake. I suspect that the difference in price is not a big deal for those that do not go through a lot of epoxy but I do go through quite a bit.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.161.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 11:37AM

Emory, you did make a mistake. When I set the pricing structure on ThreadMAster I kept it only a dollar or two higher than Flex.

Remember I do offer wholesale pricing on ThreadMAster, so make sure you're comparing APples to Apples.

Andy

Date: March 02, 2006 12:47PM

Andy,
It seems that we BOTH have made a mistake. I just called again to check on the pricing. 8oz. of Flex Coat is $14.95 and 8oz. of Threadmaster is $24.52. $9.57 is not "only barely a couple $ more" to quote you and it is also not "nearly twice as expensive" as I suggested.

Date: March 02, 2006 02:21PM

Emory,
Ok here's where you're missing the boat. I SET THE MSRP ON MY PRODUCT, NOT ANGLERS WORKSHOP.

Angler's Workshop's price on FlexCaot is not in line with what FlexCoats minimum MSRP is, it is at least $2.00 less than what they suggest. My Minimum MSRP on ThreadMaster is $19.00. Jonathan however has the freedom to set his own pricing structure which he has taken the liberty to do on both products which I have no control over. It appears he has discounted the price of the Flex Coat below the MSRP and increased the price of ThreadMaster slightly above MSRP. Which is fine with me as a better product should command a higher price. Now, we could go a step further if you like and look at Aftcote which is several dollars more than ThreadMaster. So if we make the comparison according to THE MANF. MINIMUM SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE LIST (not a re-seller's catolog) we are talking about a difference of $2.08 which is barely negligable if you want to break it down to cost per guide wrap.
At the moment I know Karen Hapka is running a special on my resins as well. which puts the difference even smaller.

FYI, I think you guys will see an increase in all resins over the next year as all petroleum based raw materials are going up in cost.

Andy

Date: March 02, 2006 04:46PM

Andy,
Well one of us is missing the boat but I am not sure which one of us it is. I do not think that many rod builders care how you set your MSRP or even what it is. Most people will realize that you can set the MSRP high relative to the price that you charge your distributors to encourage them to discount or you can set your MSRP low relative to what you charge your distributors to encourage them to price above the MSRP. What rod builders really care about is how good the product is and what they ACTUALLY have to pay.

As far as I am concerned personally, I think that you have a good product and will probably do well with it but I have used it and I do not think that it is enough better than what I have been using for years to justify the difference in price, the price difference that I actually have to pay.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.134.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: March 02, 2006 05:20PM

Emory to quote you in 2 recent emails:

#1 "The preliminary indications are that Thread Master is better than anything on the market. If I were in your shoes I would be contacting all of the big rod manufacturers. You might end up selling it in 50 gallon barrels."

# 2 "I spent a couple hours with Todd Vivien at Lamaglas this morning and one of the things we talked about was epoxies. I think that it would be a good idea to get him a sample of Threadmaster. I told him about the good experience that I had with it and he is interested in trying it.

Now all of a sudden it's just "marginally better and not worth the extra $2.08?

Use whatever makes you feel comfortable, or whatever is cheapest, it doesn't matter to me, they're your rods.

Andy

Andy Dear
www.lamarfishing.com

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2006 07:05PM

Andy:

Is your hi-build ready?

Thanks,

Ernie

Date: March 02, 2006 07:07PM

Andy,
I think that for you to display on a public forum like this two private e-mails that I sent to you without asking me is a very tacky thing to do.

Date: March 02, 2006 07:57PM

I had to go back and look at my title to see what my original post was about......

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster