I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NERBs in Charlotte
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 05:19PM

Well, THAT was fun!

It was great seeing Billy, Seane and John again, and they did a great job in the booth doing demos and keeping things moving. Nerb by "Proxy', Al Ciner deserves a thanks for bringing some of his test wraps that were outstanding to see in person. NERB "on demand", Hiro Tanaka gets a big "thumbs up"and a smile for doing a guide wrap on the global rod....too cool! Thanks to "spontanious" NERB Joe K in the U40 booth for applying finish to the guide.

Hanging out with Al, Dennis and whats his name...Nick, was good clean fun. Talking and smoking with Hiro was interesting, and watching him try to figure out just what the @%$# was going on in the Westin saturday night was priceless. I got to meet everyone on the global rod except Doc and Dave Boyle, another good thing.

The thread art I saw was phenominal. Mark Crouses rods are outstanding. Jim Uptons Baby Dragon is beyond words, and Hiro's ? ....awesome.

The whole weekend was overwelming. On monday we all had the opportunity to visit Tom at his shop and we all @#$%&'d rodbuilding for a couple hours along with Ralph OQuinn. AND got to see Hiros rods in the sun, striking! Thanks Tom.

Lots to comment on, lots of good stories, but that would bore y'all. Fun times in traffic in Washington assembling one of Bill Stevens wrappers, while eating some fine ass beef jerky Lance sold me.

I actually, while talking to Billy,Seane, and John sunday night said "y'all" without knowing it. Freaked me out!!

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NERBs in Charlotte
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 05:29PM

Mike, it was my pleasure to finally meet you, Billy, John, Seane and Al. You folks are a very talented, friendly bunch and excellent teachers.

Thanks for the reel seat and blue madeira - will put them to good use.

Stan

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: March 01, 2006 05:41PM

Stan, I assume it was you who told teve from Madeira about my rods? If so, thank you. Good luck with VW, make sure to ask me some Q's.

Mike - that was a blast. WEll worth teh 11 months of preparation to get down there. Where's our 10x10 space go? lol. 20%? Geez, lets leave a few rolls of masking tape and call it a night., lol. How many threads can you wrap in a band? Uh, I dunno, lets see if I can wrap 18. Guess I can wrap 18 threads in a band, huh? Anyone got Gummy worms?

Next year we'll know what to expect and be better prepared.

Tom's shop was fun. "Hoodlums" - that had me cracking up. It was too clean in there, we needed to break out some thread and throw it all over the place.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 06:12PM

Hey!!! I haven't seen any posts about Italo's box. Did it get filled up?

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 06:22PM

I don't know about his "box" but he (very literally) walked off with my hat on his head on Sunday. I ran into him in the hotel lobby - I was going out to eat and he was going to hook up with someone else. I really never had a chance to speak with him this year, which I regret deeply.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 06:45PM

I gave Italo 3- 4oz spools of some Holland, I think some others set him up with some stuff as well.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 06:47PM

I know that he had gotten all his equipment and supplies stolen, and the swampland boys had a box for anyone who wanted to donate. I was just wondering if it got filled. Surely someone knows, maybe Bill or Lance will chime in.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 07:02PM

If yuz guys could hang around longer next year we can implant some more of our southern slang. So when yuz get back yall start to sound like us good ol boys. See you next year guys.

Posted by: Al Ciner (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 07:26PM

Gotta add my two cents. Thanks so much to Mike, Billy, Sean and John for making me feel like a part of the weekend. I'll be a NERBS proxy anytime. It was great to meet all of them in person. Shared some laughs, some stories and learned a lot. Looking forward to next year already. Hope to have some better stuff to bring. Again,, thanks to all y'all.

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.167.231.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:21PM

I had a complete blast meeting all of the vendors , and wandering the city with Al, Mike, Sean ,and even the shoe bomber. All of the vendors were exelent ,and the public in that part of the country is sooo polite and friendly. ........... it was a pleasant change from the rat race of New England. The only thing I forgot to do was eat a grit .
Meeting Tom , Andy , Hiro ,Italo ,Dennis , Al ,Bill Stevens and the swamp gang , along with a hundred others who I've been wanting to meet was the highlight of my trip . And another thanks to Tom for letting us grope all of his "goodies" in his shop on monday while in the way back . Hope to make it back next year . John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 01, 2006 09:35PM

Michael- you said "ya'll" ?? Next thing you know, we'll have you eatin' grits.

Enjoyed meeting you guys and look forward to seeing you next year.

Pete Kornegay
Camden, NC

Posted by: Sean Endres (---.37.157.246.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 03, 2006 12:21PM

I had a great time in Charlotte with Billy, Mike and John. Thanks to these guys for all their efforts in making this possible for NERB's. It was great to meet everyone, or as Mike would say, y'all, down in Charlotte. Just to many people to list here. Looking forward to next year.

Thanks to Tom Kirkman for letting us visit his shop. Thanks to everyone who stopped by the NERB's booth, can't wait for next years show!!!

Sean Endres
North East Rod Builders
New London, CT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster