I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

closed cell foam ,same as eva ?
Posted by: james stavola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 05:05PM

I have some closed cell foam the kind ,used for fly poppers in 1 1/2&21/4 in. diam. Has anyone used these for grips? It's slightly softer than eva,just wondering if it's worth using. The colors are pink & purple which are hard to find ,i want to use them on my daughters rod,really not my rod ,lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: closed cell foam ,same as eva ?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 28, 2006 05:56PM

It's similar material but not always as firm as most of that sold for rod grips. But it is at least similar. If it feels good to you, has the right firmess you desire and comes in the colors you want, then go right ahead and try it. The important thing when selecting materials for our rods is not so much what others use or what we think of as being the traditional or standard stuff, but whether or not the material is suitable and if it works. There are a lot of great materials for rods just waiting to be discovered while we remain married to other stuff just because it's what we're used to.

Date: February 28, 2006 06:51PM

I'm going to use it ,it holds up to bluefish pretty well and had same poppers for a few seaons with out deteriorating so it should be ok for grips.Like you mentioned ,we won't know until we try,thanks , James (zeke)Stavola

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 07:48PM

James,

A word of caution before you try this.

A few years ago, I built a 'stacked' grip using closed cell foam sheets on a light fly rod. Alternated shades of brown. Looked great.

Couldn't fish with it. After just a couple of hours I had serious a 'dishpan' hand. All white and puffy. No idea 'why' but it had to be something with the grip and how it handled water and perspiration. The hand got tender and sore, but quickly returned to 'normal' when I switched to another rod.

Anyway, I learned that lesson the hard way, and removed the grip from the rod and replaced it with cork.

You may have different stuff, of course. I got mine at the craft shop.

Good Luck!

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 08:08PM

If you use the stuff, perhaps you should seal the handle so you don't get any reaction ??

Date: February 28, 2006 09:01PM

thanks guys,its probobly same stuff you got,this is from a kids toy rolling pin from target .this will be on spinning rod so wont be handled like fly rod grip,i'll try &see what happens ,thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster