I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Type Of knife for cork jigs
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: February 28, 2006 02:29PM

I went to the seminar and forgot to write down the type of knife or knives you can use in the cork jigs that mike had. Can anyone help me? Thanks Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Type Of knife for cork jigs
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 02:54PM

It's a flush cut saw like this [www.grizzly.com] Often sold as Japanese flus cut saw. It cuts on the pull instead of the push to prevent binding. It's also available at places like Home Depot, etc.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (216.48.38.---)
Date: February 28, 2006 03:43PM

Hey, Mike. it was awfully nice meeting you this weekend. I may have to get such a saw from Grizzley. I am still here in Charlotte, working, and in the evenings i have looked for this type saw. No luck at Lowes and Home Depot. I want to experiment this weekend, so I may just try a hacksaw.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 04:53PM

Hi Scott,

I used a saw much like the one Mike uses but I got mine at Sears. I now use knife blades (from Sears also) and I no longer lose saw kirf material. The blade is the replacement blades for one of Sears newer cutters. It's a lot like a utility knife blade but longer. Works good for me but the pull saw also works good.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (216.48.38.---)
Date: February 28, 2006 05:01PM

Hank - now I have a reason to go to Sears tonight.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 05:07PM

Mike probably covered this in his presentation. A key for me has been finding a push-pull saw that fits tight in the jig slot. I'm not at home to check the brand. My first attempts I used an exacto hobby saw with very thin blade. I had a hard time keeping it from wandering and I got inconsistent results in terms of straight, square cuts. With the thicker blade, I lose more because of the kerf, but I'm gaining by having less scrap. I keep all the pieces that are slightly less than 1/4" and use the washer technique that Mike posted here to cut down slim pieces for other inlay work.

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.communicomm.com)
Date: February 28, 2006 05:53PM

Scott;
The local lumber yard here where I live sells a Stanley Flush Cut saw.
/s/Bob

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 01, 2006 12:14AM

Try an internet search for "Tajima" or "Shark" brand saws. allprotool.com has them if nothing else. Shark Saw (formerly Takagi Tools) actually pioneered the Japaneese pull saw in the U.S. market by being the first to put a "western" handle on it, rather than the traditional straight, bamboo wrapped handle. Look for their #10-2410. Kerf waste is kept to a minimum as the blade's only .012" wide with a minimal tooth set. All of their teeth are ground on three cutting edges and impulse hardened. Shark and Tajima both offer replacement blades as well.

The key is to use the saw you purchase to cut the slot in your jig. This will eliminate any blade deflection.

MOST of the "pull saws" on the market are "wannabees", including the "big names" that have been selling "push saws" for the last 100 years. Stay clear. They've simply TRIED to copy the saws mentioned above which have both been around for over 200 years. Spend $20 rather than $10 and you'll be MUCH happier!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster