I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fiver Rivers FTL 803-5, 803-6, 904-6, and 905-6 CCS
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: February 28, 2006 08:05AM

For those interested, here are the numbers which will be added to the database:

FTL 803-5 2.67/62 (4pc. version 6'5" 2.38/57)

FTL 803-6 2.97/65 (5pc. version 6'8" 2.97/63) (4pc. version 5'5" 2.97/62)

FTL 904-6 4.16/65 (5pc. version 7'6" 4.01/63) (4pc. version 6' 4.01/58)

FTL 905-6 5.05/66 (5pc. version 7'6" 4.90/65) (4pc. version 6' 4.90/62)

Blanks are nice and straight and feel very light with very similar (possibly identical) color to FTs. My test samples did not come with decals or anything printed on the blank. Dan can comment on whether he has plans for decals or printed inscription. 17" sections on 803-6, 20" sections on 803-5, and 19" sections on 9' 6pc. models. Typical Five Rivers great ferrule fit. These 4 blanks definitely add to the Five Rivers diversity and light liners and small water fishermen should be excited, especially since virtually every model has at least one viable dropped-butt alternative. By the way, I do that routinely knowing and accepting that I am tossing the warranty out the window. If you aren't comfortable with doing that, you should contact Dan before you do it. You might say I am a member of the society of recklessly curious rodbuilders.

Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fiver Rivers FTL 803-5, 803-6, 904-6, and 905-6 CCS
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 09:48AM

Steve,
OK, I'm stupid and you can probably tell that I am not a fly rod builder. What do you mean by a "dropped-butt alternative"?

Date: February 28, 2006 09:51AM

Emory, you sure as heck aren't stupid. I mean a rod where you discard the butt section and build on the shorter version. When you have rods with this many pieces, it opens up these possibilities.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: February 28, 2006 10:26AM

Steve- I'm surprised that when you drop the butt, the power remains so similar despite the fact that the AA always decreases. I would think that with the shorter length and a lower AA, it would take a bit more weight to get to 1/3 deflection (even with a shorter total deflection needed).

Do all blanks (that you've measured) act like this? The implication would be that you can slow down any blank a bit by just chopping the butt- without affecting rod power. Seems to good (and easy) to be true.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 10:27AM

Steve,
Ahhh, now I understand. Thanks for enlightening me.

Date: February 28, 2006 11:22AM

Mike, most blanks do not respond this way when you drop sections. Most lose power as you suggest. Some of the 10' FTs models and these FTLs don't, but the vast majority of blanks respond just as you think they would. When I first tested the 10' FTs a couple years ago, I was surprised by the numbers but that's what they are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2006 11:24AM by Steve Kartalia.

Posted by: Al Barrett (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: February 28, 2006 03:30PM

I am a little vague on what your numbers mean.

Are you saying that even if you drop one section of the 9', 4 weight, 6 piece blank (down to 5 pieces), it will still effectively cast a 4 weight line? I would not have to overline the blank? I am looking to a true 4 weight.

Al

Date: February 28, 2006 03:40PM

Al, if you drop the butt section of this particular 904-6, you end up with a rod that is 7'6" long, 5 sections, and has an ERN of 4.01 and an AA of 63. If you compare that to other rods in the CCS database, you can see how 4.01 stacks up in power against other rods, including other "4 weights". To my way of thinking, that's a nice amount of power to have for fishing with a 4wt. line. But considering that others like 6.5 and still others like 2.5, I am not prepared to call any rod a "true 4 weight". It just depends what you like and how you fish. Best advice I can give is look in the CCS database for rods you are familiar with, or better yet, test your own rods and you will know how these and every other rod compare.

Posted by: Al Barrett (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: February 28, 2006 04:21PM

Thanks, I went to the Database and learned quite a bit. Good idea to compare to other rods I am familiar with.

Any idea what Dan wants for the 9', 4wt, 6 piece FTL blank? His website is under construction.

AL

Date: February 28, 2006 04:29PM

I'm not sure of his prices. I think his FTs last year were running around $80 but I don't know if these FTLs will be priced the same. Glad the database helped, it's helped me many times too.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 10:25PM

Great info, Steve!

Just looking at the numbers it looks like the 803-5 breaks down to a "perfect" (number-wise)
6'5 2 wt (or 3)for small stream stuff.

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster