I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bumper Spiral and Birdsnests
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 27, 2006 10:15PM

All-

I have built and fished with several bumper spiral rods. I have noted that I am birdsnesting far less frequently than before. Has anyone else had this experience? It could be the new reel oil I am using. Either way I am a happier fisherman!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bumper Spiral and Birdsnests
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 27, 2006 11:08PM

I would hesitate to say that the Simple Spiral is the cause of you having fewer backlashes, But either way, it's something to be thankful for.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 08:09AM

Using a brad line instead of mono will also help. Try taking more time to set your reel to the weight of your bait or lure.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 08:01PM

I had the same experience, but I think it has more to do with all the time I spent test casting (with the exact reel that would be on the rod). I can't think of anything inherent in the bumper spiral that would cause it to deter backlashes. The only possibility that I can think of is that casting reels might backlash less when the line is headed at a slightly steeper angler down....? I'm just guessing here.

It would be a nice selling point to potential customers, wouldn't it? (But, I'll not say anything of the sort until someone actually comes up with some hard data to prove it.)

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 28, 2006 08:38PM

Andrew White Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had the same experience, but I think it has more
> to do with all the time I spent test casting (with
> the exact reel that would be on the rod). I can't
> think of anything inherent in the bumper spiral
> that would cause it to deter backlashes. The only
> possibility that I can think of is that casting
> reels might backlash less when the line is headed
> at a slightly steeper angler down....? I'm just
> guessing here.
>
> It would be a nice selling point to potential
> customers, wouldn't it? (But, I'll not say
> anything of the sort until someone actually comes
> up with some hard data to prove it.)

Andy-

Great minds think a like. I grew up on spinning reels, and changed to baitcasters several years ago when I moved to Texas...
The only data that I can provide is that for me I am backlashing significatly less with using my new custom rods, using the bumper spiral system. I recently replaced a bearings in one reel....I would love to hear others opinions...If they think there is a correlation....

Maybe Cliff Hall will post up....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster