I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FLY BLANK FOR KIDS STARTER ROD ????
Posted by: Jan-Ole Willers (---.adsl.hansenet.de)
Date: February 25, 2006 01:11PM

Hello out there,

I am looking for a blank to be used to enable my son (8 1/2 years old) to learn fly fishing.

If you know how kids are I do not want to start with an expensive blank, I think 50, 60 or maximum 70 US$ should be a "red line" not to overgo for the blank itself. Please let me know yr. opinion in regard of length, action and line class.

Expecting some intersting answers,
Ole

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FLY BLANK FOR KIDS STARTER ROD ????
Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.dialup.wisc.edu)
Date: February 25, 2006 01:55PM

Ole,
I would look at the Forecast Blanks, they are great blank at very reasonable price. 7.5' or 8' would be a good length to start in a 4wt. They would be a good all around rod for trout, bass and pan fish.
Check out Hook and Hackle, they have kits at great prices. Have fun.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 25, 2006 03:52PM

Ole

I agree with Joe on his recommendation of the Forecast blanks. The other choice if you would prefer a different color is the Tiger Eye by Sevier Mfg. They both provide a good blank for a reasonable price.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.87.239.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2006 07:18PM

I started my daughter at age 4 with a 6' 3wt. Tiger Eye. When she gets a little older and taller, I'll probably build her a 7.5' 4wt. For your son, a 7.5' or 8' 4wt. sounds like a great choice. Both brands (TE and Forecast) are great rods that I use myself but inexpensive enough that if a kid breaks it it's not that big a deal to rebuild it. Don't overlook the H&H IM6 kits either (Rainshadow RX7). They're a little bit more expensive but I have bought several of them that include all the components, a bag and aluminum tube and arrive at my doorstep for under $75 (they've been on sale for quite a while and still are). Can't beat that with a stick.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: February 25, 2006 07:23PM

Jan, after working on beginning skills of fly fishing with the cub scouts, we found that an 8' rod in about a 5 wt was the easiest for them to learn on and enjoy. A Forecast rod blank, 8' 5 wt 2 piece lists for $24 and would make an excellent choice. If you start with too light a rod, you limit the size of the fly the child can cast easily and fighting the wind will be more of a concern. Just what we found anyway after doing this kind of thing for several years.

Posted by: Jeff Schatz (24.106.231.---)
Date: February 25, 2006 07:32PM

I'd second the Tiger Blanks. Easy to cast, well-made, inexpensive. Available from a number of sponsors of this site, or wholesale from Sevier.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (24.70.165.---)
Date: February 26, 2006 01:23AM

I built a 8ft 4wt Forecast for my 9yr old nephew and it's just right for him.He can actually cast his Dad's 9ft rods,so 8ft was no problem for him.

I wouldn't go too short or else it may actually be more difficult for him to learn on.I would get something mid length(7ft6-8ft6 maybe) and fairly light(3wt-5wt) for him.You can't go wrong with Forecast,they offer incredible value and are especially nice in the light line weights.A tiger eye would be an excellent choice too.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 26, 2006 10:15AM

I've also worked with Scouts and my son was the fly fishing instructor at a dude ranch in Wy. Both of us think that 8' 5 wts are best for kids old enought to start. They are especially good for starting out with poppers on bream. Keeping the action going has always helped me keep their attention. I built 2 Christmas rods that were requested for kids just getting started. I used Tiger Eye 8' 4/5 wts. They've worked great for teaching them casting. Now when the water warms uip they will be ready to go.

Posted by: Brian Peck (---.putnaminv.com)
Date: February 27, 2006 09:34AM

You might want to check out the American Tackle Matrix series of blanks too. Very well made and have a nice action. Besides, the twill carbon butt section may add a "coolness" factor to get your son's attention! Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster