I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need to Replace a Powell: Suggestions
Posted by: Gary McClain (---.ras06.ord01.dial.cogentco.com)
Date: February 23, 2006 05:05PM

I broke the 7' 9" 3/4wt Powell I built for my son upon college graduation. It WAS a very, very fine rod. Unfortunately, I do not recall which model of the Powell line it was. I can tell you that 10 years ago, I was in the neighborhood of $150 or so; and that it is a dark emerald green.

Managed to break the blank trying to replace a reelseat.

I emailed Powell Repairs, but have heard nothing from them so far.

Does anyone have any suggestion on a comparable blank so I can replace the rod with similar action and performance.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need to Replace a Powell: Suggestions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 06:07PM

Try www.fultzrods.com he has used quite a few Powell blanks and may be able to recommend something. All I can remember is that the lighter actioned (moderate) Powell rods I've messed with always seem to be green. Think the Winstons were too.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 06:59PM

Gary,
Where did the break occur? If you broke the rod at or near the reel seat it can be repaired and be nearly as good as before.

Date: February 23, 2006 07:34PM

No such luck...managed to do the number on the rod about 8 inches below the tip of the butt section.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 08:36PM

This is Powell rods web site [www.powellco.com] I emailed them about blanks and they replied, that they do not sell blanks. Also I was interested in a hix rod(8 sided praphited rod) they built back in the the late 70's or early 80's. They informed me they nolonger make that rod. Powell company is no longer owned by the family. It was bought out sometime around 2000.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: rusty berrier (---.r04.alardm.infoave.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 09:04PM

the green blanks were powell lighttouch-fine rods-but out of production several years.I might be wrong about this, but something in the back of my mind is telling me that charles schwabb bought the powell rod company-not the firm but chuck himself.i bult a few rods on the old blanks and still fish them.

Posted by: Dennis Scott (---.static.scrm.or.charter.com)
Date: February 23, 2006 09:53PM

You might try Preston Powell in Chico Ca. He has a fly shop in Chico and builds, repairs, and sells flyrod blanks. I had heard a rumor they had some of the older IM6 green blanks. Worth a call.

Dennis

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2006 11:05PM

I also used to have the green IM6 Powell 7'9" 3/4 many years ago, then sold it. The Powells sold out to Charles Schwab in the 90's. Then Schwab turned around and tried to screw them. Walton passed away a few years ago, Press Powell died last year. It's not the same company anymore, just more corporate crap. The Winston WT series is a green IM6 blank that is very similar to the Powell blank. They make an 8', #3wt blank. Just cut 3 inches off the butt and you're in business. It will fish 4 wt lines, no problem. Golden Witch sells these blanks.

Date: February 24, 2006 10:47AM

Thanks for the advice...I've given Winston some thought...probably a good choice.

Really was too bad to lose a top notch outfit like Powell to somebody who not only may not be a fisherman, but keeps a corporate SCREWdrive in his pocket. Not only did Powell take a hit, but so did the industry and those who enjoy fine rods.

Thanks again.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 24, 2006 01:14PM

Gary try www.hexagraph.com Hexograph Fly Rod Co., purchased, the patterns and process from Walton Powell about 12 years ago. Back in the late 70's or early 80's I had seen one. I have been told that the action is the closest to a bamboo rod they have come up with using to days technology. They are located in Kingwood TX

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster