I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fenglass Blank
Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 10:47AM

I just got a blank froma customer that he has had for a while. It is a Fenwick Fenglass SP 1263 F, brown 2-piece. I'm guessing spey rod, but wondered if anyone had any more insight, as to line weight, age, etc. I am going to do a CCS test, but was curious if anyone knew of these blanks. I'm not familiar with spey rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenglass Blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 11:57AM

Fran,
Over here on the west coast they were used as mooching rod blanks. They made them in a 2 thru 5 power range if I remember right, and the 4 power was very popular used on 20 -25 lb line. The 3 power was a harder blank to come by for some reason, at least around my area. Again this is all coming the top from a head that hasn't ingested enough coffee yet.

Posted by: Mike Doutaz (---.vs.shawcable.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 12:04PM

Fran, the Fenglass SP1263 was designed and marketed by Fenwick as a 10-1/2' spinning blank for steelhead/salmon on larger rivers. It was popular in the Pacific Northwest and British Columbia for a number of years until graphite blanks took over the market, in spin, levelwind float and mooching configurations. A very nice blank, still sought after by some for its softer action.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 22, 2006 11:58PM

Fran Park: Your rod blank is a Fenwick Fenglass SP 1263 F, brown 2-piece.

I found this information, not on YOUR rod blank, but on the NEXT Model in the series, the SP-126-4-F: in the 1982 FENWICK ROD BLANK CATALOG, page 7.

Fenwick's FENGLASS is a blend of "E" (Electrical) Glass and "S" (Structural) Glass, according to the Catalog description.

SP-126-4-F: 10'6" FENGLASS, brown. 2-piece.
MODERATE Action. MEDIUM Power. SPinning (SP).
3/8 - 3/4 oz. No line rating given.
Butt OD: 0.730". Tip-tube 7.5 / 64ths inch.
Blank Weight: 5.5 oz.

NONE of these SP-126-x-F Series is even listed in the 1983 or 1985 Catalogs, which seems to imply at least a discontinuity in availability, if not that 1982 was the last year that the SP-126-x-F Series was offered.

The only other similar length & style listed was:
SH-126-2-F: 10'6" FENGLASS, brown. 2-piece.
MODERATE Action. MEDIUM Power. Steel Head (SH).
1/4 - 1/2 oz. No line rating given.
Butt OD: 0.735". Tip-tube 7.0 / 64ths inch.
Blank Weight: 4.875 oz.

From these two rod blanks, I would guess that this
SP-126-3-F had a LURE RATING of 1/4 - 5/8 oz. IMO, ...

This FenGlass SP-126-3-F is an uncommon,
if not rare, rod - Handle with care!
... -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2006 12:05AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: February 23, 2006 07:10AM

Gentlemen, thank you for the outstanding information on this blank! I am always in awe of the wealth of knowledge available on this forum.

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2006 12:55AM

Fran- I suspect that the blank must be from the 70's. None of my Fenwick brochures from '81-'91 have that blank listed and the SH1262 was listed as "new" in the '81 brochure. Like Mike replied earlier "till graphite blanks took over".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster