I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Loomis GLX Equivalent?
Posted by: Tony Papazian (---.dsl.redshift.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 01:25PM

I'm going to build my first fly rod & I currently have two GLX Loomis rods that I love, one is a 9' 9wt & the other is a 9' 7wt. I'm going to build a 9' 5wt and a want a blank that is light & has a similar action to the GLX blanks. I have been told that the Dan Craft blanks might fill my needs & wants, so as of right now that is my number one pick but I would love to hear more opinions good or bad about which other blanks I might want to look at. I do know that Loomis is making the blank I'm looking for but since this is my first rod I really do not feel like paying the Loomis price.

Thanks,
Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Loomis GLX Equivalent?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2006 01:53PM

The St. Croix SCV have at least a similar action. But all of these are going to be a little different - they're each designed around slightly different parameters.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:01PM

Tony,

IMHO Dan Craft blanks are as fine a blank as have ever been made, and they are much cheaper than the Loomis blanks. (Think about what you're paying for with nationally-advertised blanks.) I have built rods from both, and I think that Dan's are superior. His Signature V series and his FT series are fantastic, and I'm sure that you will not going wrong buying a blank from Dan. He's also listed on the left. Make sure to give him a call, as he gives excellent advice about which blanks to choose, and he is a very nice guy.

Jim

Posted by: Todd Theodore (69.4.4.---)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:32PM

I would also look at the CTS Affinity Blank series. Maybe a bit pricey. But, great technology.

Thanks,

Todd

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 03:33PM

I owned and used GLX rods prior to the time I became addicted to rod building. I no longer have any but I have not found an exact replacement either. The Dan Craft Sig V blanks are similar in weight and crispness but are tapered a be a bit slower in action than the Loomis GLX. The Dan Craft FT series are a bit heavier but have a fast action similar to the GLX and in my experience are less fragile. Of the blanks I have built on and fished with lately they fit my needs very well. I think Tom is right in saying that, "all of these are going to be a little different". I also have found that I have been able to build rods that, while not just like the GLX line, give me great pleasure and performance.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 04:36PM

Tony,

Am I missing something?

Can't you just buy the Loomis blank?

Did Gary stop selling them?

I've never liked them at all, but I know they used to be for sale...If you want a GLX, then if it's out there....

Good Luck!

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: Tony Papazian (---.dsl.redshift.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 04:55PM

Look at the last sentence in my post. This is my first rod and I'm not looking to spend $300+ on a blank until I have some basic skills under my belt. Also from reading the posts on this board there seems to be some other options that will get me close to what I'm looking for without breaking the bank right out of the gate.

Thanks,
Tony

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 05:51PM

The only problem with the Sig V blanks are that the variety isn't there anymore. The last email I had from Dan was that he had a 8' 9" 6 wt, and that the only others he would be carrying for the remainder of the year was the 10 ft 7 & 8 wts and the 9 ft 9 & 10 wts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster