I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Low cost fast action fly rod blank?
Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 12:37PM

Hello,

I'm looking for a low cost fast action fly rod blank in 9' 4wt or 5wt. I'd like something with a faster action than the Rainshadow Rx7's and possibly a little lighter. Of the two a faster action would be preferred. The Cabela's IM7 blanks have caught my eye as being one possibility, are there any others? How are the Matrix blanks?

Thanks,
Kevin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Low cost fast action fly rod blank?
Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:09PM

what is your definition of low cost? under $80US? under $100US? i'd check into dan craft's signature V banks.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Pieter Potgieter (12.20.14.---)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:29PM

Forecast are the cheapest Fast action blanks that I know of. hook and hackle has em.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2006 02:35PM

Take a look on the CCS data site. If you can find a Forecast blank with the action angle you desire, they're pretty inexpensive and awfully good values for what you get. Try to find something with an AA of more than 62.

Date: February 21, 2006 02:40PM

forecast (batson Enterprises' RX6) are some of the cheapest (low cost) fly blanks out there but personally i wouldn't call them fast action particularly in the lighter line, under 9 foot lengths, despite the fact that hook and hackle describes them as "fast" if i remember correctly. i say this only because you might be disappointed if really looking for a fast action blank. check the CC charts to find something comparable to your RX7 benchmark.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 03:37PM

If you are looking for fast action the Dan Craft FT series 9' blanks are among the fastest at a reasonble price.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Tom Nair (206.163.1.---)
Date: February 21, 2006 04:34PM

I just finished a forecast 9' 6wt and it is not a fast rod. I did not want a fast rod and thats why I ordered it. The rx7 is a much faster blank. You should take your time on this one, to get the blank you want. Tom

Date: February 21, 2006 04:53PM

stan suggests the dan craft FT. interesting blank line, i like what i've cast. i LOVE my Sig Vs though. andi do like building rods for buddies with the RX6 blanks. be aware though... i wouldn't call the FT blank a "light" blank, one of your prerequisites. i wrapped a 9 foot 4 pc 4 wt FT for a buddy and its heft made me think it was a 6 or 7 weight. the blank's diameter is HUGE compared to every other 4 weight i've wrapped upon. if $70-$100 a blank is still too high for you, check into the tiger eye blank lineup.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 05:01PM

Temple Fork Outfitters TiCR. AA will be in the 70's. Not sure about the weight compared to RX7 and the TiCR ERN will likely be greater for equivalent manufacturer suggested line weight compared to the RX7

I have not built on the blank, only test casted factory versions in the local shop so I can't vouch for the quality of the blank program.

Posted by: D. Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 05:11PM

Inexpensive and Fast action are definitely subjective terms but I would agree with the others that the Forecast and even the Tiger Eye are inexepensive but they are not "fast action" in my opinion. They are both definitely heavier than the RX 7 line. The Cabela's IM 7 rods are similar to the RX7 in my opinion. I have to agree with the others that the Dan Craft sig V would be the ticket for a faster action blank.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 06:00PM

The only problem is Dan doesn't have the Sig V lower weight blanks in his lineup any longer. 6 wt and up is all. 7 & 8 wt in 10 ft, and the 9 & 10 wt 9 ft. Just tried to get some.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: February 21, 2006 07:05PM

Spencer, are you saying that the Sig V is no longer available in the 8' 9" 4 wt? That was a really nice 4/5 wt in my opinion. Hopefully they're not gone for good.

Posted by: Kevin Kresowaty (---.pittpa.adelphia.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 08:13PM

I already have a few Forecast's and I agree with the majority, they are not what I would call fast action. Actually, I'm looking to build a rod that will take the place of the Forecast 9' 4wt I have right now as this rod doesn't quite suite my needs. As for price I'm looking for something similar in price to the Rainshadow Rx7's, but anything under $75 would be preffered since this will not be my go-to rod. A light blank would be nice but anything similar in weight to the Rain Shadow, or even the old Pac Bay Traditions would be acceptable.

Thanks,

Kev

P.s I will check out the ccs info, I might even test some of my current rods under the system so that I can get a reference point.

Date: February 21, 2006 08:37PM

i'm really no expert here even though i've weighed in a couple of times in this thread already but it's nice to see some validity to my musings. my therapist will be pleased at its effect on me ;-)

that's interesting about the Sig V lineup. Hmmm. the Sig III lineup has been (kind of) replaced by the new FTL, a lighter line vesion of the FT series. i'm planning on building one of the new FTLs somewhat soon.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2006 08:46PM

Rob,
Yes, that's the bad news. That's the blank I tried to order from Dan on the 17th of this month. He says he'll have the blanks I mentioned above.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster