I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10 wt rod blank advise
Posted by: Joe Baylog (---.c3-0.eas-ubr5.atw-eas.pa.cable.rcn)
Date: February 20, 2006 09:06PM

Hello everyone,
great site by the way!
I want to build a 10 wt rod for a friend and could use a little advise.
The Rod will be used for King Salmon and the occasional Permit/Tarpon jumping trip. I think the correct lenght would be 9 feet but I am not sure about the action.I'm a little affraid the ultra fast action blanks may be too unforgiving.
I (was) considering a SC1V or Rainshadow RX7+
But have been reading some great things about the Dan Craft on this site.
specifically the FT and Sig. V
Can anyone who has experiance with the Dan Craft give me some insite
into thier preformance?

I 've built rods using Baston, Rainshadow Im6 & Rx7 and Loomis GL3 blanks for conventional trout and warmwater rods but this is a little bit of uncharted water for me. Any thoughts wound be greatly appreciated !

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10 wt rod blank advise
Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 11:39PM

I have no experience with Tarpon, however I do a lot of steelhead/salmon and dorado fishing. I have and fish Sage RPLXi , Loomis IMX, Scott STS and Dan Craft FT in 10 weights. Of the factory rods I prefer the Scott STS by a substantial margin, however the Dan Craft FT rods that I have built are my overall favorites. Do not be intimated by the fast action. Once you get the timing, they are as easy to cast as well as any other rod out there.

More importantly they are superior toolsr for fighting big fish. Fish-fighting is as important as casting in these line weights. Having said that, I hooked what I think was a king on the Skeena outside Terrace last September, with the FT 10 weight. I was on the bank, so I was limited in my biulity to play the fish. Whatever it was, the fish never changed speed or direction, or anything else. I might as well have been fishing a 1 weight, and I don't think a 15 weight would have helped. I recommend the Dan Craft FT without reservation. I just ordered another in 12 weight for the salt.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 11:44PM

The Dan Craft blanks are exceptional.....Well...each one I've built on them anyway (and based on a lot of feedback here)

I think my 7 wt 9 ft FT is WAY better than similar St. Croix, Sage, and Lamiglas rods I've used. I also like it more than the 10 ft Dan Craft Sig. V I used.....The 10 fter was just too much rod for me. But my 8'4 4 wt Sig. V is the cat's pajamas.

I've also built a couple of RX7 Rainshadow rods....and have liked them, as well. (especially mu current steelhead casting rod!)

My vote would be for the 10 wt FT....

After that.....then I would look at the Rainshadows.

Both Dan and the Batson's are terrific to work with...and stand behind their products with top notch service.

Keith

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2006 01:07AM

I have a Dan Craft 9 ft spiral unsanded Sig V, it gets the job done beautifully.

Posted by: Joe Baylog (---.c3-0.eas-ubr5.atw-eas.pa.cable.rcn)
Date: February 22, 2006 07:14PM

Thanks for the advise guys
sounds like the Dan Craft is a wonderful product.
Just E-mailed Dan Craft to get more info!
Thanks
Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster