I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What did I do wrong?
Posted by: Michael Chapman (---.bflony.adelphia.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 04:24PM

I thought I followed the directions that are below from an earlier post. I was putting on the Perma Gloss today and the paint I put down crackled. I used Kyrlon Fusion spray paint. I let the rod sit for five days. What do I do next?

Using a Scotchbrite pad, took the surface of the blank to a water break free status.
Wipe off the blank with a dry paper towel.
"Dust" the blank with the spray paint in sweeping strokes so that you don't get runs or heavy spots (spray can is 12" or so from the blank and it helps to have a helper).
Wait a few minutes and dust it again.
Repeat (it took me a while to get this right).
Let the paint dry for several days..
Make a slit or a hole in a foam brush, soak the foam brush in Perma Gloss, apply the Perma Gloss quickly down the blank (no more than 3 or 4 strokes should do it).
Hang the blank in a dust-free, bug free environment to cure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What did I do wrong?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2006 04:27PM

You can't apply something like PermaGloss over many paints. PermaGloss has a "hot" solvent in it that can affect the underlying surface/paint. Surely nobody here told you to apply PermaGloss over top of an enamel paint, did they?

Date: February 20, 2006 04:29PM

No they didn't. What should I have done?

Date: February 20, 2006 04:38PM

When I need to color a blank, I tint the Permagloss with a pigment and then do it all in one step. With the Fusion or any type of paint, you have to be careful about going back over with any type of clear coat. If it's not also enamel, you can cause the underlying coat to wrinkle.

Date: February 20, 2006 04:40PM

Is there a pigment I should get or stay away from?

Date: February 20, 2006 04:43PM

TAP pigments are said to be good. I have used the solids content from the bottom of Testors Model Paint jars. It doesn't take much.

Date: February 20, 2006 04:55PM

To make sure I have this correct...tint the perma gloss with the pigment, brush it on the blank, and let it dry for a few days? I want to use the Testor Acrylics vs. the Testor Enamels?

It seems to easy to be true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2006 05:01PM by Michael Chapman.

Date: February 20, 2006 09:38PM

You don't want to try brushing Permagloss. Either use the foam applicator as you did earlier, or wet a piece of cheesecloth and make two quick swipes, 180 degrees apart, down the blank butt to tip. Let stand for an hour or so and recoat. That should do it.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2006 11:08PM

As above TAP pigments work. Overall I've had the best success with flake automotive paint additivesand colorants (base coats, clear coats and pearlized) directly in the medium. I'm "playing with" Creatix airbrush clear tints now ( but no firm results yet). I was going to aribrush these on and then overcoat with PermaGlos to see what happened - I just haven't had a decent 'quite time' to experiment much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster