I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

9' vs 10' FT casting distance
Posted by: Jim Fitzpatrick (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 10:01AM

I am going to build a salt water rod on a Dan Craft FT 7 wt. blank. I am trying to decide between a 9' and 10' and am curious as to which of these rods would cast farther - all things being equal - same skill level (me)(intermediate working on advanced skill level over next 20 years) and both properly lined. Probably use a Rio Outbound.

Seems the 9' is a fair amount faster (true?) while the 10' is longer (by about a foot - I figured this part out on my own).

Also trying to decide whether to use REC heavier 1 foot recoils or Titan ceramics.

Thanks a lot.

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9' vs 10' FT casting distance
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 10:57AM

Jim,
If you look at the math for resonant frequency which determines the tip velocity, which in turn is what will mainly determine the casting distance, length is the variable that has the largest effect. I would be very surprised if the 10' rod did not cast significantly farther than the 9' even if the two rods have different actions.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: February 19, 2006 11:33AM

The shorter rod will put less wear and tear on the arm and shoulder also.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 12:01PM

A lot has to do with the weight of the lure you are casting, the size of the spool and how full it is, if you have enough weight, on a large fulll brimmed spool you will achieve greater distance with the 10' rod. Mess with any of these variables and it will have a greater influence over the comparitive distance than rod length. If your assuming the "All things being equal" principal, and in this case ideal as I have indicated, the 10 footer would cast farther, it will always cast farther until you mess with the some of the factors I have noted, then at some point it will be a case of diminishing return making the extra distance marginal enough to consider arm fatigue. If rec does not offer a high frame guide, I would go with the Titians..all things considered I'd opt for Alconites and bank the savings.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 12:11PM

Chris,
I think that Dan is talking about a fly rod.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: February 19, 2006 02:11PM

The main consideration for length of a fly rod, is line mending. Being a saltwater rod, mending is most likely not a big consideration :)

The other reason for choosing a longer rod would be for float tubing (to keep the line off the water). Again I hope you won't be floating tubing in the Ocean :)

Christian

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 03:30PM

For what it's worth, my 908-4FT can throw a Airflo 40+ about 110-120'. My 1010-4FT can throw a 300gr head 110-120' with a two hand overhead cast (no haul).

However, I've been fishing a 1007-3 V a lot lately and find that I can throw a longbelly Airflo Polyfuse XT as far as the two above, plus I don't get burned out by the constant stripping in that a line like the Outbound or the 40+ require. I feel that you can actually generate MORE line speed with the V series...

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2006 03:31PM by Scott Kinney.

Posted by: David Edens (---.dhcp.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: February 19, 2006 06:15PM

If your skill level was advanced to expert, I would say you might be able to cast farther with a 10' rod. Faster tip speed and all that.

However, the 10' rod magnifies any errors in your stroke greater than a 9' rod. A 9' rod magnifies errors in your stroke greater than an 8' rod. If you have errors in your stroke, they could negate any faster line speed you might be able to generate with a longer rod. There is an optimum rod length for every angler given their skill level. You have to decide what that is. It might be 8' 6" (Ever wonder why that is one of the most popular length rods, particularly for beginners?).

My experience is that intermediate casters cast a 9' rod better than a 10' rod. I haven't done any scientific study on this, but this is my observation.

See if you can borrow a 10' rod to cast before building one. You might find you like the 9' better.

The 10' rods are great for lifting line off the water and high stick nymphing. Proper technique will keep your line of the water in a drift boat or float tube, not more rod length.

David Edens
Blue Ridge Rods
FFF Certified Fly Casting Instructor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster