I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7' Seeker Black Steel 50#
Posted by: Harold Lang (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 01:32AM

I'm going to do guide placement on a 7' seeker G somethingorother H. The 50# graphite 7'.

I'm really thinking about doing a bumper guide wrap. So far, most of the bend I've been able to get is in the outer 1/3. I'll add weight to 20# tomorrow, but with 10# it's all near the tip.

I'm taping the guides on conventional for location, and will rotate the tip and guides to the bottom to wrap.
I've researched the threads and bought the back issue on bumper wrap. I'm a little unsure where to place the bottom 2 guides, where the rod has very little bend, and if I should keep them closer toward the tip whee most of the bend happens.

Any advice?

It's a three day weekend and I'd like to spin some thread this weekend.

Planned use is a 50# wahoo stick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7' Seeker Black Steel 50#
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2006 09:10AM

Do you mean the two guides nearest the tip-top? You generally be safe in putting the first one about 5 inches behind the tip, then the next one from 6 to 7 inches. I don' thave that blank on hand here so I don't know how fast the tip is. Because they'll wind up underneath the rod, you won't have a problem with the line touching the blank. The numbers I've given you here are pretty generic for rods in that class and length, but should get you a starting point.

As far the butt guide goes, the same criteria holds as always, regardless of the rod's action. You want the butt guide close enough to keep the line off the foregrip and/or angler's hand when the rod is under maximum. If this requires that you put it very, very close to the foregrip/reel, then move up a guide size or two until you can back it away a bit and still meet the original criteria.

Date: February 18, 2006 01:24PM

On a conventional wrap, the first guide back from the tip wants to be at about 4", the second about 5" more, and the 3rd, 5 to six depending on the weight I've put on the tip.
I'll be fishing the rod at 15 to 25# of drag range, and on a conventional wrap, would want the guides spaced for clearance that way.

Since I'm doing a spiral bumper wrap, does that change? I'm not going to have to worry about blank clearance, but want to load the blank at the right place.

Most of the bend action is at the last 1/4-1/3 of the rod. The butt 1/2 of the rod deflects about 2". The CJBF70H has a 11 tip and a 1.10 butt diameter, and is a black steel graphite, so its a real fast taper shut off.

I'm thinking 12" between the stripper ring and first bottom ring, placing the bumper where it needs be.
I 've thought about wrapping the front six guides and setting the tip, then actually mounting the reel and loading the rod to set the stripper, bumper and first bottom guide.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 18, 2006 02:46PM

Forget the Bumper for the time being, just leave it out of the equation. Set all the rest as they need to be and then put the bumper exactly halfway between the first two. Those first two guides (butt and first 180 degree guide) shouldn't be more than 11 inches apart.

Everything else sounds good.

Date: February 18, 2006 07:34PM

Thanx, I'll shorten up that distance.

Posted by: Jim Racela (J.AkuHed) (---.ont)
Date: February 18, 2006 11:26PM

Hey Harold! Like I said in the other forums, using the bumper guide is the easiest wa to set up an Acid wrapped rod! I'm not doing it anyother way from now on! If you want an easy guide placement system and tutrotial, you should get the RodMaker back issue where Rich forhan does an article about his "Equal Distance Guide Spacing", vol.5, issue#3. Another in a line of nformational articles from RodMaker Magazine that helped to raise my level of conciousness in rod building! Who said you can't teach an old AkuHed new tricks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster