I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper guide placement
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 06:39PM

As i mainly build `sea`rods i`m new to fly rods but getting into it. main question is as title says where do i place the stripper guide ???? i`m told its fairly important but how do you reckon on its position
sorry to seem stupid but its a bit different working a 10mm dia blank when your used to working 25-30mm blanks they bend n break easier lol so i have found out

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper guide placement
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 07:14PM

Allen,

Start with 20 inches from reelseat and then let the static test fine tune it. Other than that you my want to adjust it to the person using the rod so it feels the best to them. Also have you tried the search feature here? Tons of info there.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2006 07:17PM

From 20 inches from the center of the grip or about 30 inches from the rod butt, are good starting places for your stripper guide. Go out and cast it and make sure you can comfortably reach the line at the stripper without having to perform any sort of long stretch or gymnastics. Make sure the line moves smoothly out to the guide without undue noise or difficulty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 10:09PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 07:49PM

Allen---
Just another way you can try. I have the person go through his casting motion while I watch where his hand is touching the rod after he settles into a rythem and seems to be making contact in the same area I make note and place the stripper about 2inches above that spot.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: February 18, 2006 05:14PM

I think it is best placed at the length of the users reach when stripping in line. For a backcast, reach to the stripper and pull the line during back cast for single haul, or for double haul, reach and pinch again for the forecast. If the stripper is too far, you can have trouble finding and pinching the line. You need to do this without looking as your eye should be on the target. If too short, can't effect as strong or long of haul when single or double hauling. Also, optimum distance to the stripper means optimum loops when stripping in to recast. It depends upon the users normal reach during these typical fly rod actions. Customize the stripper guide position to the user. It is a custom rod, after all.

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---.hrbgpa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 09:21AM

I agree with Rich.I read this method some years ago and have been using it ever since. Hold the rod out in front of you in your right hand (assuming that your right handed) reach up to where you a comfortable to strip the line then place the stripping guide 2 inches above that.
Tim

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2006 09:10PM

It depends on what the rod is intended to do. If the rod is a small trout fly rod intended for short casts, then the placement of the stripper doesn't matter all that much. However, if the rod is slightly larger weight, and meant to shoot a lot of line, then I would suggest you just keep moving the stripper further and further away, until you see the line slapping the blank too much on the cast.

Many folks suggest that the stripper be at a comfortable distance, so that the angler can easily reach up and grab the line. I haven't found that to be a necessity. I tend to put my strippers quite a ways from the reel, so that I can increase my line shooting ability. It seems that no matter where the stripper is, I always adjust pretty quickly, and can "find" the line with my non-casting hand with little effort.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster