I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bubbles
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 10:54PM

Okay, I had no bubbles when I put my rod in the drying box. When I took it out, bubbles all over. WHY o WHY o WHY?!?!?!

Am I screwed? Can they be sanded out?

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bubbles
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 11:27PM

Bubbles can easily be sanded out with maybe 600 grit paper. Don't know why you are getting them.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:52AM

Maybe moisture. Stuff happens. Good luck.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 06:27AM

they have come out of the thread trapped under it when wrapped (or in it when dyed )just sand them lightly and apply a thin

It may pay you to warm your drying box or keep a regular check on it (i find bunging the neighbors kid 50pence works well as the wheels stay on my car too)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.109.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 06:58AM

If you are putting on a thick coat without CP this may be the reason. Try two or three thin coats. The bubbles can release more easily with thinner coats. Probably getting trapped in the thick coat before they can go to the top and pop.
Or even try it with out the drying box. This way the finish can dry slower and give the bubbles time to release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2006 07:00AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 08:18AM

You can't just put on finish and walk off somewhere. Air coming up out of the thread will continue to try and release for up to an hour. You have to watch it and take the time to pop those bubbles as they come up. LS Supreme seems to let them out easier. With other finishes I use a small alcohol torch to pop them as the appear. Once the finish has gotten really tacky and really thick, no more will come out. Then you can walk away.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.109.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 08:34AM

You can also thin the first coat so the bubbles get out quickly. Then a regular secound coat.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:56PM

Agree with Danny-u can't just walk away from a freshly applied finish. To get a quality finish every time, some babysitting required.

Also agree with Bill; the thinner the coat, the easier the bubbles come out and burst on their own and also if heat is needed to burst them.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2006 08:36AM

I agree with Bill, apply 2-3 thin coats, and with Randy - don't walk away from freshly applied finish, no matter what brand, thin or thick - they will all bubble. I do not trust ANY finish to not hold bubbles. They all require a little babysitting for the first half-hour after application to make sure all is right.

Apply finish in 2-3 thin coats beginning with a thin wetting coat.

Once the finish is cured you can only affect the surface bubbles with sanding and refinish. ANy bubbles that are trapped laying on the thread will be very difficult to remove WITHOUT damaging the thread. You can sand on the finish, but you cannot sand on the thread....

ANother thing that happened to me several winters back; I lost heat while a rod I had applied the first wetting coat was curing. I had already flamed the few bubbles here and there, the rod had been setting for about 1.5 hours in the cold, air temp 45*-50*. Since at this point I am not turning the rod on a dryer I found it easy to move the rod to a heat room. I moved it to the heated room 68*-70* and left it for the night. Next morning I found the rod with HUNDREDS of bubbles on the thread surface that had not been there the night before. Apparently the air in the thread expanded as it warmed to form bubbles in the congealing finish. Fortunately they were easy to pick at and break up - it just took more than an hour to do!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster