I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Opinions on Guide replacement charges
Posted by: Don Jones (204.180.144.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:32PM

I had a question related to charges for guide replacement. I figured I would just charge $8 + guide for replacing a double foot. If someone wanted all guides replaced on a rod would you still charge the full $8 per guide or would you drop a buck or 2 for additional guides on the same rod? I've only done rods that needed 1 guide replaced so $8 + guide cost is pretty cheap but when you tell someone that wants, say 6 guides replaced plus the tip ($5 + Tip) that your shop charge will be $53 + cost of guides and tiptop, it sounds much more expensive. Just wondering if even a flat fee of say $25 - $30 plus cost of guides would be more in line when replacing all guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Opinions on Guide replacement charges
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:36PM

That depends on what you need to make to stay in business or for it to be worthwhile to you. I do know that some guys will drop back a buck or so if more than say, 3 guides on the same rod are being replaced. So in that case you'd charge $7 per guide or something close to that.

Ultmately, if a guy needs that many guides replaced, he may have to consider whether the rod is worth it or not. From your side, it costs just as much to replace the guides on a cheap rod as it does to replace them on an expensive rod.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:43PM

a flat fee is ok but think of the time involved in stripping the old guides AND any problems you may find under the old wraps i personally would say 50 bucks is a reasonable price for the work involved
REMEMBER if reguiding a rod was that simple then they wouldn`t come in to ask for it to be done would they would you do the same thing if you were an electrician ???? IE 40bucks for one socket but 100 bucks to replace all the sockets........ may be ok in a one room apartment but in a four storey house!!!
just my opinion dont cut your throat in business your there ultimatly to make money not give your skill and knolledge away

Allen

Posted by: Harold Richardson (---.ord.scnet.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:45PM

I get $6 per guide plus the cost of the guide itself. I don't offer discounts for multiple replacments but if you think it would net you more business then you might do it. You'll have to weigh how many guides you get to replace versus how much less you make per guide. You don't want your bottom line to remain stagnant while your labor time increases.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 16, 2006 02:53PM

Something as low as $5 for a Single-Foot Guide;
up to $10 for a Double-Foot Guide, and around
$15+ for a Double-Foot or Roller Guides with UnderWrap
is a reasonable range that has been tossed around here.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.365u.will.k12.il.us)
Date: February 16, 2006 05:03PM

I do $8 for one guide plus the cost of the guide and $6 per guide for multiple guides plus the parts. Most of my repairs are for tournament guys so the $30 bucks they usually spend is well worth it to them, and it works out for me.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 06:55PM

Good Post. I do a lot of guide replacement. I charge $8 per guide and $2 for an underwrap plus the cost of the quides. I usually keep a lot of new take off guides here to help the winter Texans out. I recently posted a advertisement in a local bargain magazine and that was a mistake. Now I am getting rods by the dozen and it is really getting to be a pain. I guess what I mean is it is interfering with me doing other things.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (63.168.119.---)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:02PM

As Mr. Cliff said, I charge $5/guide 'foot'. I add $2-$3/foot for additional wraps such as double wrapping or triple wrapping with an underwrap. A triple wrapped roller guide would run ~$20 depending on my mood that day. For multiple guides I 'may' do the discount dance...again dependant on mood & customer.

Jay

PS. The above is, of course, PLUS the cost of the guide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2006 09:35PM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 08:51PM

Old adage time is money! Think of it this way the more guides you replace, the finish you made up for one guide is then used, So now your material cost is down to the cost of the thread and guides. Now if you have a resale and business lic. The cost to you is cheaper. Now some rods are more difficult to do than others, extra care must be used when repairing. It has to the materials the manufacture used in building the rod (blank material, rod finishes peel off, and matching guides ectria) If you want to make this a business you can make a good living at just repairing rods. That was why! When I was in business I went out of my way to find broken rods I could use in repair of other rods. Some of the rods I acquired were almost brand new. Which means I had lots of guide sets, reelseats and even grips. Those broken rods did not cost me one cent They were given to me free. So my replacement costs for most materials was nil. So my major cost was my labor, some thread , finish and maybe some glue. So back to my comment , Time is money. Meaning how fast can you get the job done and do it correctly
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster