I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Don mortons guide placement charts
Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 05:35PM

Has anyone got the plans to thse or not ?????
want to try one out but cant find one anywhere :(((((

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Don mortons guide placement charts
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 06:04PM

Mudhole has it on page 94 of their 2006 catalog. You should be able to download it from their site on the left.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2006 06:54PM

The plans were in a past issue of RodMaker. I don't have the volume and issue number in front of me at the moment, but you can probably find it on the back issue page. Pretty sure it was somewhere in volume 4.

Renzetti sells a pre-made chart if you're interested.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 07:42PM

mmm i would buy one but wanted to see what they work out like compared to static placing 50+bucks to sorta look at something then decide its not as good is a bit much Especially when i gotta pay neary 25 bucks in postage
but heyyyyyyy thats the beuty of living in the UK and not having any supplys like that over here. if someone has a copy of the plans i would be most grateful
allen

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2006 07:51PM

Hi Allen

At the time of the article Don listed an email address of dmorton35@hotmail.com I don't know if that email address is still good or not. If it is maybe he can send you a copy.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Don Morton (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 17, 2006 06:38AM

The plans are in the Rod Maker for the equal angle and the progressive angle techniques for guide placement. Andy Renzetti has the production rights for the charts. He has them for sale through a number of outlets. All though these charts provide very good spacing for the guides but a number of advances in the production of rod blanks have been made during the past few years which add a number of other factors to the equation. Most any placement concept will work with many of the blanks available but if you are looking for the highest performance from a rod, especially some of the American Made By Americans blanks a number of other factors should be included. New tapers, pattern designs, production accuracy and "yes" very consistent 180 degrees spines designed into the blanks, change the concept of standard or set guide placement. The alignment of the fiber alone produces chacteristics that can be killed or enhanced by the placement of the guides. Keep in mind every thing that you feel in the rod handle is trasmitted through the guides. They are a very important link in the chain of feel. A couple of blank-rod companies are producing series of blanks that are unbelievable in terms accuracy in production and not only materials but combinations of materials. These blanks can really be made to perform with some innovative placements of the guides and other set-up techniques to use the performance potiential built into the blanks. For performance rods, the placement of guides can make a real difference in how sensitivite the rod will be and how it will perform with fishing tasks. The "how to do it" is a little to much for this space.

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: February 17, 2006 08:14AM

No offense, but I don't buy it. The equal angle placement system is one of many good guide placement systems, but all the stuff about guide placement affecting sensitivity or accuracy is hooey. Sorry for the blunt statement, but I've played around with this stuff enough now to know that what happens when we cast or fight a fish is not even close to what we do when we pressure a blank by hand and roll it around in a spine finder. Not to mention that nobody uses a rod in a single axis or plane. This spine and rod set up stuff needs to disappear. It just doesn't make any real difference. Guide placement isn't hard and we don't need to make it difficult.

The best thing I've ready in many years was Emory Harry's article on rod frequency. If you really take the time to read it you will learn more about the importance and correct way of guide placement than anything else. When it comes to guides, less is more. Rod performance depends a lot on using as few guides as possible. After reading Emory's article I have changed everything I do about guide placement and I can feel the difference. So can my customers.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2006 12:11PM

Fewer guides place less weight on the blank and therefore you minimize the performance robbing effect of extra weight as much as possible. But guides are a necessary evil - we can't expect to do what we do with a fishing rod without having guides on it. The "inter-line" rods offered by Daiwa and Cabelas attack the problem differently, but they also present another set of totally different problems into the mix. I won't go into those here.

But I would agree that if you want to ruin a rod blank's potential, put a lot of guides on it, or use very heavy guides and/or long wraps and underwraps. These are just more reasons to utilize things like the New Guide Concept for spinning rods and spiral wraps on casting rods. Less guide weight equals a more responsive (and sensitive) rod.

If you'll do a search on the "equal angle" system here on this forum, you'll turn up a great of information on the system. As funds allow, I'll put up the chart and information from the previous RodMaker article.

Two of the Renzetti Equal Angle charts will be given as door prizes in Charlotte next week. In the meantime, you can make your own or buy one from Andy. They're very nicely made and laminated so you can write on them over and over. Considering that it's something you may use often and for many, many years, the price isn't at all out of line. Think of value over the years rather than just the initial out of pocket expense.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 17, 2006 07:38PM

RMM-4(6)** - "The Equal Angle System" by Don Morton

Back Issues of RMM-4(6) are completely out-of-stock and not available from Tom Kirkman (TK), nor from RodMaker Magazine (RMM).

Back Issues of RMM VOLUMES 1-4
are NO LONGER AVAILABLE from TK nor from RMM.

The few RMM-Volumes(Issues)- that are still available, are in the process of being sold to an independent vendor. (Progress / status report from Mr. Kirkman may be available after the Big Show in Charlotte 2006. … ?)

Before Christmas 2005, the only Back-Issues of RMMs
in the Volumes 1-4 that were left anyway were:
Volume 1: Issues #3, 5
Volume 2: Issues #1, 2 and 5
Volume 3: Issues #1, 2, 5 and 6
Volume 4: Issues #2, 3, 4 and 5

The availability of these RMM Back-Issues may have dwindled, and is no longer guaranteed. … -Cliff Hall+++

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster