I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly caught in epoxy??
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 07:23AM

Last night around 9.30 I finished my signature wraps and was real happy at the way it looked. Neat, even, spaced properly etc. This morning I go down stairs to check out the final results and the first thing I see is this common house fly stuck for prosperity at the end of my name , like a period . I haven’t seen a fly since the weather turned cold and I have never seen one in my basement. EVER. Now what’s the best way to fix this? The fly is embedded into the epoxy about 1/3 or less of its body. Could I sand it and reapply epoxy with good results. Maybe slice it off and run thread over it and epoxy the thread.
Anyone have this problem before ??
As always thanks in advance
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly caught in epoxy??
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:22AM

Ken,
This has been discussed a few times. Try a search. (all dates)The main consensus is to just apply more
epoxy and up the price for the "in-lay" LOL!

If that option does not work for you just cut it out with a razor and apply more epoxy

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 08:27AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 08:30AM

mmmm leave it in uv light for a month then really bang the price up tell the punter that you used Amber on the wraps and the fly in it is worth thousands

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 09:58AM

Put several coats of finish over it and you will have an encapsulated fly, almost the same as the encapsulated grips that Mud Hole sells. Jesse

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 11:43AM

Was it at least a fly rod? Sorry, just couldn't resist. Randy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 11:46AM by Randy Search.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 12:25PM

Guess the only thing you could do is to get a good pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass and try to pick it out. Sand down the finish and refinish ??? Don't forget his tiny legs ??

Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: February 15, 2006 04:19PM

Well after I stopped laughing I took the razorblade and sliced it off flush with the epoxy, picked out the inners, filled the cavity with silver metallic paint and epoxied it again. I believe its going to be ok.Thanks for the laugh. My wife got a big kick out of the responses
Thanks
Ken Blevins
I guess now its my first “fly” rod

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.144.115.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 06:45PM

Just to give all a laugh, years ago before my dip tanks, I would very carefully coat my bamboo fly rods and let them turn all day and night. This usually gave me a beautiful finish.... Well, one summer day, I was finished with the varnish and the rod was turning,,,, I happened to glance over and here , attached to my varnish was a fly !!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured I could pick him out and do the sand and recoat of the area in the morning.....

RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An hour later there was my bamboo fly rod filled with flys. All turning perfectly @ 18 RPM..

It never happened before or after... I had to strip the rod down to bare and start over. I dip now and have not had the problem since.

Thought you could use a cheering up !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tight lines to all ~~

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2006 07:56PM

Last fall same thing happened to me. When I told the owner of the rod he told to encapsulate the thing with added layers of finish. He now calls his rod the "fly rod" though its a 30lb class boat rod he's referring to. Surprisgly the fly itself does not look to bad, embedded in the finish, almost as if placed there intentionally.

Lou

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: February 17, 2006 03:03PM

Since I build fly rods, I use flies to catch fish. Maybe if I built a rod specially for streamers, I could use a "fish" rod to catch flies. I admit that your way sounds easier though.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster